Tet 1968

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Vietnamese American Society : One Thread

chi bua since you asked for Tet 69, you got it

Tet 1968 Offensive

-- (
NguOi Dan @ NhanDan.News), February 07, 2005


Surprised at Tet: U.S. Naval Forces in Vietnam, 1968

by Glenn E. Helm Reference Librarian, Navy Department Library, Naval Historical Center.

His research interests include intelligence, surprise attack, and the history of Indochina. He is currently writing a book on the intelligence and operational history of the Tet Offensive.

[Originally published in Pull Together, the Newsletter of the Naval Historical Foundation and the Naval Historical Center, vol.36, no.1 (Spring/Summer 1997): 1-5. All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form, or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior permission of the author.]

Awaking to the sound of explosions, Rear Admiral Kenneth K. Veth, Commander U.S. Naval Forces Vietnam (COMNAVFORV), moved to the rooftop of his rented house to witness a dazzling display of rockets and flares lighting the Saigon night sky. All around, the sound of battle during the early hours of 31 January 1968 heralded the arrival of the 1968 Tet Offensive. Armed with automatic weapons and hand grenades, the Admiral and his housemates waited for a ground assault which fortunately never came. During the remaining hours of darkness, Veth kept informed of events by listening to military police and other tactical communications on the radio. Since he spent the night on the roof of his house, he was unable to direct operations from his headquarters.

Despite numerous warnings, the intensity, coordination and timing of the Tet Offensive surprised the allied intelligence community, including naval Intelligence. In addition to a flawed intelligence collection effort, naval Intelligence and COMNAVFORV misunderstood critical information, resulting in American naval forces being improperly deployed and surprised when Saigon and numerous other targets were attacked on 31 January 1968.

During the Tet truce, Task Force (TF) 117 (Riverine Force) was scheduled to deploy into western Dinh Tuong and eastern Kien Phong provinces, where it was expected to interdict intensified enemy resupply efforts. Captain Robert S. Salzer, the commander of the Riverine Force, later called it a "show and tell" operation, remarking, "there was no reason whatsoever to be there. We went up there along the skinniest canal we could, till we ran out of water completely, then we ploughed through the mud some... Nothing much happened. There was no reason for anything to happen. The Vietcong were all the way to the east of us by this time. So much for what [American intelligence] thought they knew." On the morning of 30 January, the task force received word that the Tet truce was canceled. Offensive operations resumed, but infantry units remained near canals for rapid redeployment. The situation in the Delta deteriorated quickly the next morning as enemy forces attacked My Tho, Ben Tre, Cai Lay, Cai Be and Vinh Long. Salzer recalled: "We began to hear rumors that things weren't going quite so well in our splendid isolation. Bill Knowlton, who was a brigadier general then flew in, saying 'My God, it's Pearl Harbor over again.'" A Riverine Army company was airlifted to Vinh Long to support ARVN forces at 1810 on the 31st. Another company was flown to reinforce the defenses of the permanent Riverine base at Dong Tam, near My Tho. During the night, the majority of the task force withdrew to Dong Tam, where they arrived before dawn despite enemy harassment (including an ineffective ambush). In the fiery glow of nearby fighting, the Riverine force was resupplied and moved out at daybreak. At 1550 on 1 February, these forces were hurled into battle in My Tho and, subsequently at Vinh Long and Ben Tre. During the fighting, as normal sources of intelligence temporarily dried up, the Riverine Force became heavily dependant on Air Force-supplied radio-direction-finding fixes for information on enemy unit locations. In the end, the Riverine Task Force was credited with saving the Delta.

In anticipation of increased enemy infiltration of supplies from Cambodia, TF 116 (River Patrol Force or Game Warden), commanded by Captain Paul N. Gray, had deployed nine PBRs (patrol boats, river) to the Cambodian border region. Four PBRs were based at the US Army Special Forces camp at Chau Doc on the upper Bassac River in the northwest of the Mekong Delta. To the immediate east of Chau Doc, five PBRs were deployed to the Special Forces camp at Thuong Thoi in Kien Phong Province to patrol the upper Mekong River. The repositioning of PBRs to Chau Doc may have had little impact on infiltration, but the vessels proved crucial in repelling a major ground attack on the city during Tet. Elsewhere during Tet, TF 116 units engaged enemy forces at My Tho, Ben Tre, Vinh Long, Sa Dec, the Saigon area and the LCU (landing craft, utility) ramp at Hue. Remarking on the enemy's ability to prepare for these attacks without detection, Captain Gray admitted that "...I have no concrete knowledge of how such a logistics miracle was accomplished by the VC in the Delta."

The month of January saw increased patrol activity by Task Force 115 (Coastal Surveillance or Market Time) as the northeastern monsoon abated. There is no evidence that TF 115, commanded by Captain R. Dicori, deployed in a different manner than usual as Tet approached. Even so, a patrol vessel made what might have been one of the first contacts with enemy forces at the start of the offensive, when it intercepted five or six uniformed enemy personnel concealed in an unlighted sampan three miles south of Qui Nhon, late in the evening of 29 January. During Tet, Market Time forces became engaged in a number of firefights involving sampans and provided naval gunfire support to forces ashore. Harbor defense patrols (Operation Stable Door) engaged enemy swimmers during the early hours of 31 January but were unable to prevent damage to the bow of the Norwegian tanker Pelican in Cam Ranh Bay. Despite extensive commitments in support of allied forces ashore during the Tet fighting, TF 115 thwarted four enemy trawlers at the end of February attempting to simultaneously infiltrate supplies into the RVN.

The Navy's operating forces in Vietnam relied on COMNAVFORV's intelligence organization, headed by the Assistant Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Captain Giles C. Upshur, Jr., for all necessary intelligence on potential friends, enemies and operating areas. The organization was also responsible for fulfilling intelligence requirements of higher headquarters and the Defense Intelligence Agency. Each commander subordinate to COMNAVFORV was responsible for maintaining an intelligence collection organization, and all Navy personnel were expected to report information of intelligence value. Naval Intelligence personnel were stationed throughout the RVN, including Coastal Zone and Riverine Area headquarters, Coastal Surveillance Centers, some PBR bases and some Sector Operations and Intelligence Centers. An intelligence officer was assigned to the staff of each of the three Navy task forces. In addition, an intelligence advisor and a counterintelligence advisor were assigned to the Vietnamese Navy. Naval Intelligence Liaison Officers (NILOs), tasked with providing intelligence to COMNAVFORV and allied naval forces within their assigned geographic areas, were stationed in 24 towns and cities, primarily provincial capitals of coastal and Mekong Delta provinces. No boats or watercraft were assigned to NAVFORV with the primary purpose of obtaining intelligence.

The task forces played a significant role in the collection of intelligence. For example, in addition to questioning and detaining Vietnamese nationals, TF 116 inserted Provincial Reconnaissance Units and Navy SEAL (Sea, Air and Land) teams on intelligence collection missions. In support of TF 115, naval aircraft conducted patrols along the Vietnamese coasts. The aircraft detected and photographed merchant shipping, observed patterns of junk movement, and supported surface units during possible submarine contacts. Relevant intelligence reports and analysis went to various intelligence consumers. American and Vietnamese naval intelligence personnel interrogated enemy prisoner and deserters, exploited documents and materials and produced intelligence.

James C. Graham, a CIA employee who served on the Board of National Estimates, recalled, "I think that there was an intelligence failure at Tet, but I think it was composed of many elements... the anatomy of any intelligence failure is always a very complicated thing." Numerous reasons account for the intelligence failure that led to COMNAVFORV and his intelligence organization being surprised by the Tet Offensive. The following list is not exhaustive; it merely provides a basis for understanding the failure. In some cases, there is strong evidence that a particular factor contributed to the failure, in other cases the evidence is less clear but highly suggestive nevertheless.

With a limited staff and a lengthy list of collection requirements, NAVFORV intelligence personnel could expend only a small portion of their efforts seeking evidence of an unprecedented, coordinated, country-wide attack such as the Tet Offensive. In addition, U.S. Navy operational forces generally placed a low emphasis on intelligence collection, and it was only in isolated cases that operational boat skippers were successfully given intelligence briefs and then meaningfully debriefed after an operation. TF 115 and TF 116 failed to collect data on ports, boat identities, routes, cargoes and personnel. Analysis of such information would have assisted the Vietnamese government to control water traffic. Rather than utilizing their special warfare skills for intelligence purposes, operating forces often misused the SEALS as covert infantry units. Their abilities to conduct infiltration and reconnaissance, as well as to run agent nets, were often ignored in the rush to employ them in disrupting and destroying specific enemy targets.

A major problem faced by NAVFORV intelligence was the inability of Allied naval patrol forces to significantly interdict enemy logistic activity along the rivers and coast of the RVN, with the likely exception of large vessels approaching from the open sea. As a result, TF 115, TF 116, and Vietnamese Navy patrols did not obtain evidence of the coming Tet Offensive. Communist forces, particularly those in the Mekong Delta, utilized the waterways of the RVN to position personnel and supplies before the offensive. Yet U.S. Navy coastal and river patrol forces intercepted and captured virtually none of this water traffic during the several months prior to Tet. Despite a significant increase in boat and personnel detention in January 1968, NAVFORV captured a mere 22 weapons, 6.5 tons of rice and no ammunition.

The basic difficulty confronting allied naval forces attempting to interdict the covert movement of enemy supplies and forces on or across waterways was that patrol forces were overstretched and sometimes poorly utilized. A study of the Mekong Delta completed in the summer of 1967 tallied 732 miles of major waterways, exclusive of the Rung Sat mangrove swamp. Approximately 90 PBRs were available to cover this area, of which a maximum of 30 two-boat units were continuously on patrol. They could not keep all likely areas of enemy activity under constant surveillance. In practice, PBRs patrolled only those areas of VC activity identified in regular intelligence reports. An important source of these reports was aerial surveillance by NILOs who did not have operational control of aircraft, since they were merely passengers on Army and Air Force planes. Although NAVFORV had a requirement for daily surveillance, aircraft were typically available only three days per week and were not equipped for operations at night, the time of most enemy activity.

A March 1967 study determined that PBR tactics (assuming a 10-hour night) included four hours of drifting with the engine shut down, two hours underway at less than 12 knots, and 4 hours underway at over 12 knots. PBRs could detect sampans at 500-1000 yards with radar and other equipment, but only at 100-500 yards without it. However, on a quiet night, one could hear PBRs operating at high speed more than three miles away. SEAL teams conducting ambushes along rivers frequently reported hearing and seeing enemy signals, presumably warning of approaching PBRs, as much as 30 minutes before their arrival.

COMNAVFORV knew that communist forces used the waterways in the Third Riverine Area (the south and southwestern portions of III Corps), including the Nha Be/Saigon, Dong Nai, Vam Co Tai and Vam Co Dong rivers, for transportation and supply. Allied security in this area, including the control of river crossing points, varied enormously. In some places, it was virtually non-existent. For example, the Bo Bo Canal in Long An Province was particularly well situated for the transport of supplies from communist base areas in Cambodia. An intelligence advisor remarked that unless allied forces gained control of these waterways, "they will continue to be used at will by the VC/NVA...they will remain basic routes for infiltration, supply and crossing points for the VC/NVA." The Senior Intelligence Advisor in the Third Riverine Area during Tet claimed that Vietnamese naval forces were too slow and that, "The VC use our rivers at will. To effectively stop them the Third Riverine needs [US Navy] PBRs, SEALS, and Seawolves [helicopters]. Without the above the VC will continue to run supplies, and troops whenever they desire."

The Fourth Coastal Zone, located along the Cambodian border in the far west of the Mekong Delta, was an area through which significant amounts of enemy supplies moved from Cambodia into the RVN. Working together, the NILO at Ha Tien, American advisors, and the Vietnamese Sub-Sector Chief had developed an agent network capable of providing early warning of large scale overland movement of supplies, but they could not obtain rapid aerial photographic reconnaissance to confirm reports of infiltration. Moreover, communication with the outside remained uncertain due to an inadequately performing generator. The nearest aircraft were located along the coast at Rach Gia, about 50 miles from the border and even farther from the RVN island of Phu Quoc, located half-way between mainland RVN and the Cambodian port of Sihanoukville, through which a great deal of communist supplies were arriving. Aircraft were only available in the vicinity of Phu Quoc when not needed on the mainland, and ready reaction to surveillance needs was considered marginal.

Coastal surveillance resulted in relatively few interceptions of enemy personnel and material. Although this was ascribed at the time to the effectiveness of patrols which discouraged the enemy, it was more likely due to patrolling inefficiencies. Vietnamese Navy assets similarly were subject to poor utilization, often being used for base defense rather than aggressive patrolling. Referring to Coastal Group 12, a Vietnamese Navy unit in I Corps with responsibility for patrolling lagoons, an American advisor remarked, "Unfortunately, they perform routine patrols unsatisfactorily in that the junks are prone to anchor and the crew go to sleep, day or night." A fellow advisor commented "The attitude [of] `let the Americans do it' prevailed." In all fairness, some units conducted creditable patrols, but others were judged barely satisfactory and some were considered totally unacceptable.

The quality of Vietnamese naval units often fluctuated over time, due in large measure to the attitude of their commanding officers. One advisor remarked that emphasis on numbers of boardings, inspections and detected contacts reduced the effectiveness of patrols. For example, one naval unit spent several hours almost daily inspecting a fishing fleet located 3-4 miles off the coast, in the same place on a regular basis. Enemy units presumably noticed the pattern and slipped along the coast while the patrol unit was otherwise occupied. American crews were also affected by pressure to produce results. An advisor who served in the Mekong Delta observed, "I mean [American PBR crews will] stop anybody and take in 50 people and call them suspects if they feel that the pressure is on them to come up with some suspects."

Another factor was the lack of Vietnamese language capability among NAVFORV intelligence personnel. Few Americans managed to master the Vietnamese language before Tet. In fact, language training for Navy intelligence personnel remained inadequate until 1970, when the Navy finally devoted greater resources to the problem. A lack of fluency in Vietnamese meant that Naval Intelligence personnel were at the mercy of sometimes insincere or even traitorous Vietnamese personnel. The Intelligence Advisor to the Vietnamese Navy summed up the need for Vietnamese language training:

"In my opinion it is not sufficient to rely upon the fact that many Vietnamese officers speak English. Not only are other nationals quite pleased and flattered to find Americans who speak their language, there are important operational requirements as well...it would prevent to a greater extent conversations by Vietnamese "around" the advisor. It is important for Intelligence oriented officers to be fully aware of what is going on around them and to be able to read newspapers and other printed material to be fully effective. The lack of these capabilities detracts from the advisory and intelligence effort."

One Coastal Surveillance Zone advisor remarked "I don't know if language training would have been of help, however it might have given me some insight into those I was to advise."

The failure of Navy personnel to understand the Vietnamese language was a component of the systemic problem of the American effort in Indochina, and one linked to the one-year tour of duty. In the field, less than six CIA officers at a time together with a small number of military advisors and intelligence personnel assigned to American units were proficient in the Vietnamese language.

Poor communication skills and short tours of duty combined with unfortunate results. One advisor to the Vietnamese Fleet Patrol felt unable to impress upon his Vietnamese counterpart the potential that his ship had for collecting intelligence. Although American liaison personnel could only gather a small percentage of available information, he considered the Vietnamese Navy's ability to "read the people" a potentially prime source of intelligence. He noted that the Vietnamese Navy could become "more of an intelligence collection agency and less of an intelligence collation agency if it could only tap the potential intelligence available through personal contact with millions of people annually."

Prior to Tet, allied intelligence failed to recognize changing enemy strategy. Analysts believed the communists would be foolish to attack urban areas where they would be exposed to superior allied firepower. The communists would thereby give up their perceived control over their casualty rate while waiting for the United States support the Republic of Vietnam to weaken.

Other issues commonly associated with the Tet intelligence debacle such as enemy deception, enemy indecision, false alerts, analysts' fear of crying wolf, poor information sharing, and information processing difficulties also contributed to the failure to provide warning of the upcoming offensive.

Of particular importance to the issue of whether the Navy had sufficient warning of Tet was all- source intelligence available to Admiral Veth and his intelligence organization on 27 January. This information painted a dramatic picture of enemy activity and indicated that a major enemy offensive was imminent. It should have produced a maximum state of American vigilance as Tet approached. Widespread communist attacks in the northern portion of the Republic of Vietnam during the night of 29/30 January could have provided 24 hours warning, yet NAVFORV was still unprepared.

COMNAVFORV and his intelligence organization were surprised by the intensity, coordination and timing of the Tet Offensive, as evidenced by Admiral Veth's presence at his residence during the first wave of attacks on Saigon. Of the many factors that led to the intelligence community's surprise at the offensive, the misguided belief that enemy forces would not run the risk of attacking the cities and towns of the RVN is paramount. The belief that an attack during the most important Vietnamese holiday was an almost unthinkable enemy option was similarly misguided. Had the allied intelligence community placed greater emphasis on intelligence collection, and acted properly on the intelligence that they did receive, the Tet Offensive may never have found its way into the history books as one of the greatest intelligence lapses in the post-World War II era.

For further reading on intelligence and the Tet Offensive:

Ford, Ronnie E. Tet 1968: Understanding the Surprise. London: Frank Cass, 1995.

Helm, Glenn E. The Tet 1968 Offensive: A Failure of Allied Intelligence. MA thesis. Tempe AZ: Arizona State University, 1989.

Hoang Ngoc Lung. The General Offensives of 1968-69. Washington: US Army Center of Military History, 1976.

Oberdorfer, Don. Tet. Garden City NY: Doubleday, 1971.

Wirtz, James J. The Tet Offensive: Intelligence Failure in War. Ithaca NY: Cornell University Press, 1991.

3 August 1998

-- (Nguoi Dan @ NhanDan.News), February 07, 2005.

TET 1968

The effects of the TET Offensive were felt in the Delta, where Lieutenant Tom Anzalone was flying UH1B gunships with the Seawolves of HA(L)-3. He recalls his part in the TET Offensive.

I was a Navy pilot assigned to HA(L)-3, headquartered in Vung Tau from 14 June 1967 to 5 May 1968. The squadron consisted of approximately 80 pilots and 22 UH1B gunships, along with enlisted support personnel. Our primary mission was to provide air cover for the Navy river patrol boats (PBR's) that patroled the rivers, canals and waterways of the Mekong Delta. Two UH1B's and two PBR's operated from each of the LST's that the Navy had stationed on strategic rivers though out the delta. In addition, the squadron had four other land based detachments of two aircraft each. Additional PBR's also operated out of Navy bases in the delta area. The purpose of this operation was to interdict arms and supplies that the Viet Cong was shipping via the waterways from North Vietnam to their troops in the south. In general we would fly air cover for the PBR's while they were on patrol, or would be on standby alert to be scrambled when called by a PBR under enemy fire. During the first part of my tour, HA(L)-3 supported any friendly troops under fire, however, later on we were allowed to support only US Naval forces. During TET these rules of engagement were ignored.

My first recollections of TET begin on 29 January, two days before the actual Viet Cong attacks began. The US and South Vietnamese governments had agreed to a truce with the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong in honor of the New Year which was to begin on 1 February. The truce began at 6:00 PM. I remember thinking to myself as we flew our routine patrol that evening that there was a lot of movement below in the form of foot traffic and sampans under way. We had launched from the deck of the USS Garrett County, which was stationed on the Con Thien River and were patrolling the surrounding area. Since we flew our patrols at 1200 feet and it was very easy to observe what was happening below, we could see what were obviously Viet Cong units marching with their weapons slung over their shoulders. In fact, when we dropped down to tree top level to take a closer look, these soldiers waved their AK-47's and Viet Cong flags at us. I remember thinking as I looked at these sinister, jeering faces that these same Viet Cong had been trying to kill us, and we them, for months, and as soon as the truce ended, that routine would start again. It is interesting to note that this scenario had occurred before, during previous truces with the Viet Cong. These prior truces had ended when the enemy attacked without warning. Little did we realize that history was about to repeat itself, only this time the magnitude of the attacks caught us by suprise. On the morning of 30 January, we patrolled the area again and saw large numbers of Viet Cong flags along the canals and roadway which were normally under the control of the South Vietnamese. The Viet Cong troops were everywhere. At 9:45 AM we got word that the truce had been ended because of Viet Cong violations. During our patrol we spotted eight sampans in an area inhabited by Viet Cong sympathizers. We attacked and sank the sampans. The truce was over for us also.

The actual TET Offensive began for me at 4:45AM on 31 January when I awoke to the ship's PA speaker that screamed out "Scramble, scramble, scramble the helos!" This was a typical way in which we were informed that there were friendly forces under fire who needed our help. Little did we realize the significance of the battle that was just beginning. We prided ourselves in being able to launch within five minutes of the scramble alert. Since each gunship was fueled, armed, preflighted and ready to go, all that remained was for the crew of two pilots and two gunners to suit up, man the helicopter and start the engine. While we did this, the ship positioned itself for proper wind over the deck.

One at a time, both aircraft launched into the dark morning air. While the number two helicopter was joining number one, the fire team leader got a briefing from the ship's combat information center on where the action was and who was involved. On this particular morning we were told that the US Army airfield at Vinh Long was under mortar and ground attack, so we headed in that direction.

It was soon evident that this was a different kind of enemy action. Before we could get to Vinh Long we were called by the ship and told to divert to Tra Vinh where the town was under siege and in need of air support. We flew to Tra Vinh only to learn the situation was not too bad. While we were circling over the town, we were informed that the situation had grown worse at Vinh Long, and the other Vietnamese cities in the area were also being attacked. We made one air strike on an enemy position on the edge of Tra Vinh and then returned to the LST to refuel.

After refueling, we launched and again headed for Vinh Long, which was now being overrun buy the Viet Cong. As we approached the Army airfield at Vinh Long, we could see a major battle in progress. The Air Force had been dropping flares all night and the sky was lit up like daylight. We put in a strike at the edge of the runway and were told that the field was not only completely surrounded, but that one half of the runway had been overrun by the Viet Cong. After expending our ordinance, we landed to refuel and rearm. I will never forget the scene as we approached the field for landing. It reminded me of a fourth of July celebration. Flares were drifting slowly to the ground and tracer rounds were arcing in all directions across the brightened night sky. Geysers of water were erupting many feet into the air as mortar rounds impacted the in the rice paddies surrounding the airfield. I remember being told by the tower not to land on the east half of the runway because it had been overrun by Charlie. We landed on the west end of the runway and sent both door gunners aft of the aircraft and told them, "Shoot anything that moves!"

After refueling and rearming, we headed back to Tra Vinh which was now under heavy attack. We put in multiple strikes around the city and received heavy enemy fire. The lead aircraft was hit but returned safely to the LST. It was mid morning by the time we arrived back at the ship. We ate breakfast and prepared to fly to Vung Tau where HA(L)-3 had it's maintenance facility. We had some minor repairs and battle damage to tend to.

En route to Vung Tau, we monitored the operational frequency commonly referred to as "Paddy Control." What we heard were continuous reports of towns, airfields and outposts that had been overrun by the Viet Cong. I remember thinking, "There isn't a safe place in all of South Vietnam for us to land."

After having our two aircraft repaired, we returned to the ship that evening. At 2:00AM, the following morning we were again scrambled for Vinh Long which was under attack again. Vinh Long was the location of a major Army complex and airfield, and the Navy had a PBR base that was the main focus of the VC attack. The Navy decided to evacuate the base, so we put in air strikes to cover their withdrawal. The Naval base was actually part of the town and since the whole town had been infiltrated by the enemy, it was difficult to separate friends from foes. Unless we received fire from a specific location, it was impossible to know where the enemy was. For this reason, most of our air strikes were directed by someone on the ground or by an airborne spotter.

We continued to make numerous strikes in and around the town at the request of friendly troops under fire. It seemed that the enemy had succeeded in infiltrating all of Vinh Long and we were taking fire from everywhere. When dawn arrived, most of the city had been taken by the Viet Cong and the Army airfield was still surrounded. Enemy bodies were strewn around the airfield, some of them were children 10-12 years old. All the next day the battle continued. Air Force F-105's and F-4's pounded the perimeter of the airfield continuously. We knew that when nightfall arrived, Charlie would be on the move again.

As dawn arrived on the morning of 2 February, the town of Vinh Long remained under siege. I'll never forget seeing the long line of Vietnamese peasants that stretched for what appeared to be miles along the main highway leaving Vinh Long. What a sad sight it was to see these people carrying everything they owned on their backs and in small rickshaws as they fled their war torn homes.

For the next two to three days, we flew strikes 24 hours a day against the well entrenched Viet Cong. It was the first time any HA(L)-3 pilots had actually attacked targets inside a Vietnamese city. We had no choice, that's where the enemy was. Eventually the Viet Cong forces were routed by the combined action of the Army, Navy and Air Force operations in and around the city of Vinh Long. Gradually, the action died down, not only around Vinh Long, but everywhere else in South Vietnam. It became apparent that the Viet Cong were retreating. In retrospect, there were many moments when we thought we would be the ones retreating. In the end, it's difficult to say which side actually won the TET Offensive. History will decide that.

History | Aircraft | Pictures | Trivia | Reference Mailcall | Links | Association | Membership | Merchandise Forum | Site Map | Home

-- (Nguoi Dan @ Nhan Dan.News), February 07, 2005.

Tet 1968 was a defeat for Gen Vo Nguyen Giap, but it was a turning point where a War was reviewed for the next 10 fiscal years that led to the signing of Paris Accord in Jan, 1973


-- (
Nguoi Dan @ Nhan Dan.News), February 07, 2005.


Tieu Doan 4 Kinh Ngu Tran Giai Toa Trai Phu Dong tet Mau Than 1968

Joined: 11 Dec 2004 Posts: 67

Items PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:11 pm Post subject: Kinh Ngu Day Song - 1968 Reply with quote Hậu cứ của TĐ4/TQLC tại thị xă Vũng Tàu. Đơn vị này vừa cùng Chiến đoàn A/TQLC tham dự những cuộc hành quân tại Bồng Sơn, Tam quan do Quân đoàn II tổ chức. Trở về Hậu cứ ngày 28/1/ 1968 để nghĩ dưỡng quân và ăn Tết Nguyên đán. Đây là cái Tết đầu tiên của Tiểu đoàn được có mặt ở Hậu cứ sau rất nhiều năm của Tiểu đoàn. Nhưng sáng mồng 2 Tết (1/2/1968 ), Tiểu đoàn được lịnh của Bộ Tư lịnh Lữ đoàn /TQLC ra phi trường Vũng Tàu để được không vận về Sài g̣n. Chỉ trong ṿng không đầy 4 tiếng đồng hồ , Tiểu đoàn đă tập họp được một quân số gần như 90% . Trong những ngày Tết , nghĩ tại Hậu cứ mà quân số hành quân hơn 500 , đó là điều mà chưa chắc có một đơn vị nào trong QLVNCH thực hiện được. Tr/U Đặng văn Học , chỉ huy Hậu cứ, đă xuất sắc trong việc gom quân này.

Những chiếc C 130 của Không lực Hoa kỳ mang TĐ4 quần trên bầu trời Sài g̣n vào lúc 9 giờ sáng ngày mồng 2 Tết , nhưng phi công chỉ được lịnh đáp xuống phi trường Biên Ḥa. Đổ quân rồi chờ đợi tại đây. Rồi lại lên máy bay, lần này đáp xuống phi trường Tân sơn nhất trong bầu không khí chiến tranh. Mọi người đều cảm thấy có một cái ǵ đó không ổn ở đây. Đảo chánh hay VC tấn công ? Chưa có câu trả lời.

Đại đội 1 của Tr/U Nguyễn đăng Ḥa xuống đầu tiên. Có một vị Tr/tá Không quân đến gặp và yêu cầu Anh cho chiếm 3 lô cốt nằm ở cuối phi đạo , hướng ngă tư Bảy Hiền đă bị VC chiếm từ đêm qua. Tr/U Ḥa không thể giải quyết được v́ c̣n phải chờ lịnh của Tiểu đoàn trưởng, Đ/U Đổ đ́nh Vượng , đang trên đường bay tới.

Hai mươi phút sau, BCH/TĐ đến , một chiếc xe jeep mang phù hiệu Bộ TTM và một sỉ quan đến mời Đ/U Vượng và Tr/u Nguyễn văn Nghiêm , Trưởng ban 3 đi họp. Trở lại phi trường , ông cho biết nhiệm vụ của TĐ là đến giải tỏa cổng số 4 và Trường Sinh ngữ quân đội. Đội h́nh di chuyển bằng cách chạy bộ .

Cánh B do Đ/U Vỏ Kỉnh , Tiểu đoàn phó chỉ huy gồm ĐĐ2 của Tr/U Phan như Đơn + ĐĐ4 của Tr/U Trần xuân Quang . Cánh A do Tiểu đoàn trưởng chỉ huy gồm ĐĐ1 của Tr/U Nguyễn đăng Ḥa + ĐĐ3 của Tr/U Nguyễn thế Phương và ĐĐCH của Tr/U Nguyễn viết Bạch . TĐ chia đội h́nh di chuyển về cổng số 4 , tiến quân dọc đường Vỏ di Nguy về hướng ngă tư Phú Nhuận . Trên đường di chuyển VC bắn nhiều loạt vào đội h́nh . Trên đường cũng có một xe Quân cảnh Mỹ bị bắn cháy, trên xe vẫn c̣n xác của một Trung sỉ Mỹ. Lúc này th́ mọi người không c̣n nghi vấn nào về cuộc hành quân cấp tốc này nữa. Đến ngă tư Phú Nhuận ĐĐ2 và ĐĐ4 dàn đội h́nh rẽ bên trái , dọc theo đường rầy xe lửa để chiếm cổng xe lửa số 4. Địch phản ứng mạnh , quân ta có nhiều người bị thương và bị bắn sẻ từ các cao ốc. Họ được đưa về cho Trung đội quân y của TĐ để băng bó, nếu trầm trọng hơn th́ được chuyển đến bịnh viện của Cơ đốc Phục Lâm ngay ngă tư và những nhân viên của Bịnh viện sẳn sang làm mọi chuyện cho binh sĩ đang chiến đấu để bảo vệ họ. Từ những căn nhà dọc theo hai bên đường, dân chúng tràn ra đường xem chiến tranh. Đối với họ .. VC ( những người miền Nam theo CS ) là một cái ǵ lạ lùng lắm. Tất cả bọn chúng hoàn toàn xa lạ đối với thành phố này. Dân chúng mang bánh ḿ, bánh tét, dưa hấu cho các anh em binh sĩ TĐ4 , v́ từ sáng đến giờ chưa có ai ăn ǵ cả. Kỳ này, TĐ hành quân quá gấp rút nên ban 4/TĐ của Tr/U Nguyễn văn Nhiều không kịp mua thực phẩm.

Sau hơn hai tiếng đồng hồ, quần thảo với địch trong một thế trận trong thành phố, TĐ được lịnh rời khu vực . Có lẽ v́ quá gần với đơn vị Dù đang tiến lên từ phía bên phải đường rầy xe lửa. TĐ được lịnh di chuyển qua Trung tâm Tiếp huyết , đến G̣ Vấp và sát nhập vào Chiến đoàn B /TQLC lúc 3 giờ chiều ngày mồng 2 Tết.

Tại BCH/Chiến đoàn B tại B́nh Ḥa ư định điều quân của Chiến đoàn trưởng như sau :

_ TĐ4/TQLC được tăng phái 1 Chi đội M41 , vượt tuyến xuất phát ở phía bắc

Chi khu khoảng 1km, tiến chiếm trại Phù Đổng sau đó giải tỏa áp lực chung quanh Quân lao G̣ Vấp và thành Quân Nhu.

_ TĐ1TQLC vượt tuyến xuất phát cùng lúc , và bên trái của TĐ4 , tiến quân giải tỏa áp lực địch chung quanh thành Cổ Loa ( BCH /Pháo binh QLVNCH ), trại Hoa Lư ( Hậu cứ TĐ61 Pháo binh ) , Thành Quân Cụ và Cư xá Trương quăng Tuân,

Cả 2 TĐ đều không được dùng pháo binh và không quân yểm trợ khi tiến chiếm mục tiêu, nhằm giảm thiểu thiệt hại cho đơn vị bạn tại chỗ và dân chúng trong vùng, ngoại trừ thật sự cần thiết và có sự chấp thuận của BCH/CĐ.

Lúc 4 giờ chiều cánh B /TĐ4 do Đ/U Vỏ Kỉnh chỉ huy ĐĐ 1 và ĐĐ2 tiến chiếm trại Phù Đổng. Th/U Phạm Cang , Đại đội phó ĐĐ1, với 2 Trung đội tiến vào cổng chính. Tr/U Lê xuân Lộc ĐĐP/ ĐĐ2 với 2 Trung đội, có 2 M41 tăng phái đă bắn sập tường và tiến vào trung tâm của Trại. Cổng trại về phía tây bắc rất cao, cánh quân của ĐĐ1 di chuyển trên đường trống trăi nên rất nguy hiểm. Đợt tấn công đầu tiên của quân ta bị sự chống trả mănh liệt . Tuy nhiên 2 Trung đội cũng vào được bên trong bờ thành , bất kể thương vong, bất cứ giá nào cũng chiếm cho được mục tiêu và phải giữ nó. Không có con đường nào khác. Cánh ĐĐ2 của Tr/U Lộc tương đối dễ dàng hơn nhờ có M41 bắn sập bờ tường . Bên trong thành có rất nhiều nhà cửa , địa h́nh phức tạp , không biết địch từ đâu cứ bắn tỉa ra. Đơn vị phân tán từng tổ nhỏ áp dụng chiến thuật tác chiến trong thành phố đă học từ ngày ở quân trựng TQLC. Thương vong của ĐĐ1 và ĐĐ2 cứ gia tăng bởi hỏa lực của một toán địch từ trên đỉnh của một tháp nước ( Château d’ eau ) cao khoảng 30m ở phía nam của trại Phù đổng . Nơi đây địch đặt một khẩu thượng liên chế ngự toàn bộ khu vực. Đ/U Kỉnh xin không quân yểm trợ bắn sập bồn nước mới mong tiếp tục nhiệm vụ. Lúc này 2 cánh quân chỉ kiểm soát được 1/5 diện tích trong trại.

Tr/tá Chiến đoàn trưởng yêu cầu Th/tá cố vấn Mỹ cho trực thăng vỏ trang triệt hạ tháp nước nhưng ông ta lắc đầu : “ Không quân Hoa kỳ không được lịnh yểm trợ , thưa Tr/tá . Nên yêu cầu không quân VN.”Sau này tôi mới biết, Hoa kỳ đă giao trách nhiệm hành quân trong Đô thành cho QLVNCH.

Theo yêu cầu của Chiến đoàn , 15 phút sau một chiếc Skyraider A1 của KQVN bay đến và sau khi mô tả mục tiêu cho phi công, chỉ một pass bằng loại bom nhỏ, viên phi công đă đánh sập tháp nước . Hàng tấn nước trong bồn qua mảng vỡ tuôn chảy như thác mang theo xác của những tên VC cùng một khẩu thượng liên và các vũ khí cá nhân trôi theo ḍng nước xuống đất. Xác của tên xạ thủ bị xích vào khẩu thượng liên.

Đáng khen thay cho những phi công tài ba của Không quân VN , nhất là trong cuộc chiến Tết Mậu thân 1968. Trên tần số không lục , Tiểu đoàn trưởng Đổ đ́nh Vượng đă xin tên họ số quân của người phi công để đề nghị lên Chiến đoàn tưởng thưởng xứng đáng . Chỉ c̣n một giờ nữa là trời tối , ĐĐ1 và ĐĐ2 phải thanh toán toàn bộ trại Phù đổng . Nhiệm vụ c̣n lại không mấy khó khăn khi tháp nước đă bị hạ.

Cánh A của TĐ4 cũng song song tiến chiếm các mục tiêu chung quanh quân lao G̣ Vấp. Tối hôm đó , Th/tá Chi khu trưởng đă cho xe chở bánh ḿ đến tiếp tế cho các chiến sỉ TĐ4/TQLC.

Trong cuộc tái chiếm trại Phù đổng , một t́nh cảnh vô cùng thương tâm hiện ra trước mắt mọi người. Đó là VC đă tàn sát toàn bộ gia đ́nh của Trung tá Tuấn, Chỉ huy trưởng Thiết giáp vào rạng sáng ngày mồng một Tết. Chỉ c̣n sót lại một cháu trai v́ đi chơi với bạn và kẹt ở bên ngoài. Xác của gia đ́nh Trung tá Tuấn bị chúng sắp ngồi theo thứ tự cao thấp trước hành lang căn nhà, cháu nhỏ nhất chỉ mới 2 tuổi. Tất cả đều bị chặt đầu. ĐÓ LÀ HÀNH ĐỘNG HIẾU SÁT DĂ MAN CỦA BỌN CS.

Nh́n thảm trạng này, những người lính TQLC dày dạn phong sương , tâm hồn chai đá cũng không khỏi ngậm ngùi rơi lệ. Ḷng họ dâng lên nỗi căm hờn quân tàn bạo khát máu. Đ/U Vỏ Kỉnh, một con người đă bao năm vào sanh ra tử, chai lỳ trong trận mạc , nhưng Ông cũng không cầm được nước mắt. Mắt ông đỏ lên nh́n vào bóng tối, nghiến răng kèn kẹt, h́nh như ông muốn trả cái mối hận này nếu chẳng may bọn chó má đó rơi vào tay ông lúc này. Bây giờ là 7 giờ tối ngày mồng 2 Tết ( 1/2/1968 ).

Chính Đ/U Nguyễn đăng Ḥa . Đại đội trưởng ĐĐ1/TĐ4 đứng trước cảnh tượng này anh đă không cầm được nước mắt : “Nh́n cảnh tượng trước mắt, tim tôi tê buốt, mắt như cay cay, chắc không phải ảnh hưởng bởi thuốc súng ! Gia đ́nh Ông gồm 9 người , chỉ c̣n lại 9 cái xác không đầu . Thật là dă man , vô nhân đạo ! Tôi không có th́ giờ để phân tách sự việc , máu nóng đă tràn ngập con tim , giờ chỉ c̣n lại hận thù và phải trả thù cho những em bé đă chết tức tửi trong đêm Giao thừa. Đêm linh thiêng đánh dấu đời em khôn lên một tí và lớn thêm một tuổi , em chết mà không biết lư do ǵ cũng như các anh chị em đă cùng chung số phận .”

Tên thợ chụp h́nh Eddie Adams đă chụp bức h́nh của một tên VC đă sỉ nhục Tướng Loan và bị ông bắn , đă rùm beng đưa lên mặt báo , rồi một bọn bồi bút, phản chiến phụ họa lên .. Tại sao không đưa bọn chúng đến đây , chụp những tấm h́nh này , toàn bộ một gia đ́nh kể cả những trẻ thơ cũng bị chặt đầu. Thử hỏi sự dă man nào bằng . Hơn 3.000 dân lành vô tội, những giáo sư đại học Tây đức, những tu sỉ, ngoại kiều đă bị VC đập đầu bằng búa tạ, trói tay, trói chân chon sống tại Huế th́ sao ? Không ai phổ biến trên báo, trên đài truyền h́nh ? Không ai lên án ? Thật là một bọn truyên thông bất lương và tấm ḷng của bọn chúng cũng khác ǵ bọn dă man CS đâu ?

Ngày hôm sau , mồng 3 Tết ( 2/2/1968 ) TĐ4 tiếp tục lục soát và giải tỏa trong khu vực trách nhiệm , đồng thời cho một ĐĐ tăng cường giữ kho đạn G̣ Vấp cùng với ĐĐ cơ hửu của Kho đạn.

Tiểu đoàn 1/TQLC dàn đội h́nh tác chiến : với cánh B do Đ/U Nguyễn văn Đă chỉ huy hai ĐĐ2 và ĐĐ3 . Trách nhiệm là phải “ bốc” cho bằng được các chốt của VC để giải tỏa áp lực địch đang đè nặng lên thành Quân cụ và cư xá Trương quăng Tuân. Ngay đợt tấn công đầu , ĐĐ2 đă có 4 chiến sỉ bị thương . Tuy nhiên với sự can đăm và kinh nghiệm chiến trường , các “ Quái Điểu” đă hoàn thành nhiệm vụ sau đó. Th/U Lộc điều động ĐĐ2 kiểm soát hoàn toàn cư xá Trương quăng Tuân.

Cánh A do Tiểu đoàn trưởng Phan văn Thắng điều động ĐĐ1 và ĐĐ4 tiêu diệt địch đang bám chặt tại trại Hoa Lư ( Hậu cứ TĐ61 Pháo binh ) và thành Cổ Loa ( Bộ chỉ huy Pháo binh ) . Sau khi lần lượt tỉa từng chốt trên đường tiến quân, cánh A đă bắt tay được với lực lượng pḥng thủ bên trong trại do Đ/U Đạt, quyền Tiểu đoàn trưởng TĐ61 PB chỉ huy. Mặc dù VC chưa chiếm được BCH binh chủng Pháo binh, nhưng những vị trí then chốt bên ngoài thành Cổ loa đều do chúng kiểm soát. Th/tá Thắng đă tŕnh bày t́nh h́nh trên cho Tr/tá Soạn để xin pháo binh yểm trợ. Tr/tá Soạn đă chấp thuận sau khi đă can thiệp với TTHQ của Bộ TTM và Bộ TL Biệt khu Thủ đô.

Tiểu đoàn ra lịnh cho ĐĐ2 tiến quân từ cư xá Trương quăng Tuân băng ngang đường để cùng ĐĐ1 từ trại Hoa lư tấn công lên theo thế gọng kiềm tiêu diệt địch. Hỏa lực của VC nơi đây rất mạnh gồm thượng liên, đại liên B40 bắn xối xa vào cánh quân của ta , nhưng Tiền sát viên pháo binh TQLC là Th/U Lưu văn Phúc ( Phúc Yên ) điều chỉnh khá chính xác những tràng đạn nổ chụp vào các vị trí của địch , các Quái Điểu lần lượt tiến lên chiếm mục tiêu và thu lượm chiến lợi phẩm. Địch đă để lại 7 xác chết, số c̣n lại bỏ chạy về hướng bắc.

Cánh B của Tiểu đoàn khựng lại v́ những chốt chận của VC có đại liên bắn chận . Tiền sát viên cánh B là Th/U Trần văn Tỷ không thể điều chỉnh được v́ bị nhiều cao ốc che khuất nên yêu cầu Phúc Yên cánh A yểm trợ. Th/tá Thắng ( Thanh Hóa ) quyết định di chuyển BCH/TĐ lên tuyến đầu cùng với ĐĐ1 để dễ điều động và quan sát . Ngay lúc đó một loạt thượng liên bắn vào BCH /TĐ làm tử thương Th/U Hoàng , phụ tá Ban 3. Không thể lùi chỉ có tiến th́ mới có chỗ ẩn nấp. Thanh hóa ra lịnh Tất cả xung phong lên phía trước. Ai bị thương sẽ tản thương sau. Rồi quay qua bên Th/U Phúc , ông bảo : “Cậu lên cùng với Đ/U Lượm để quan sát và điều chỉnh tác xạ , phải tiêu diệt các ổ kháng cự của bọn chúng mới được .” Đ/U Lượm chỉ cho Phúc Yên nơi VC đóng chốt trong những lô cốt cũ bên cạnh hào nước chảy bao quanh thành Cổ loa , chúng đang bắn xối xă vào quân bạn. Pháo đội 105 ly /TĐ61/PB tại phi trường Tân sơn nhất trực tiếp bắn yểm trợ. Phải clear không phận trước khi loạt đạn được bắn đi , nên không thể tập trung hỏa lực như các cuộc hành quân khác. Đề lô đă phải dùng đến cách thức chuẩn định chính xác, điều chỉnh từng khẩu để bắn vào các mục tiêu khác nhau. Cuối cùng từng trái đạn đă làm cho VC phải bung ra bỏ chạy, rơi vào hỏa lực của ĐĐ2 bên trái và ĐĐ1 bên phải . Bọn chúng đă hoàn toàn bị tiêu diệt . TĐ1/TQLC đă hoàn tất nhiệm vụ trong ngày mồng 2 Tết ( 1/2/1968 ).

Những ngày sau đó Chiến đoàn B cùng TĐ1 và TĐ4 tiếp tục hành quân lục soát trong khu vực Binh ḥa – G̣ Vấp – Xóm Mới cho đến ngày mồng 4 Tết ( 3/2/1968 ) th́ được lịnh về giữ an ninh khu vực ngă năm B́nh Ḥa, cầu Băng ky cho đến cầu B́nh Lợi. BCH/CĐ đóng tại một cao ốc sát cây xăng tại ngă năm B́nh ḥa . Cây xăng này đă bị VC đốt trong đêm Giao thừa. Ṭa cao ốc bỏ hoang v́ chiến cuộc sân thượng đúc bê tong kiên cố và bằng phẳng nên được dung làm băi đáp trực thăng cho Chiến đoàn trưởng.

Sau hơn một tuần lễ giữ an ninh khu vực cầu Băng ky, TĐ1 và TĐ4 cùng với TĐ5/TQLC được lịnh di chuyển cùng với BCH/chiến đoàn A của Tr/tá Hoàng tích Thông hành quân giải tỏa Cố đô Huế.

Đó là ngày mồng 8 Tết ( 7/2/1968 ) cũng là ngày chấm dứt đợt 1 tấn công của VC tại vùng Sài g̣n.

BCH/ Chiến đoàn B dời về đóng tại Ṭa hành chánh tỉnh Gia định để chỉ huy

TĐ3 và TĐ6/TQLC hoạt động trong khu vực ngă ba Hàng Xanh, Đồng ông Cộ, Thành Tuy hạ, Cát lái .. Đ/tướng Cao văn Viên và Tr/tướng Lê nguyên Khang có đến thăm BCH/CĐB để thị sát t́nh h́nh và khen ngợi thành tích của các TĐ/TQLC trong thời gian hoạt động vừa qua.

Trích"Lử Đoàn TQLC với trận chiến Tết Mậu Thân tại Sàig̣n" View user's profile Send private message

-- (Nguoi Dan @ Nhan Dan.News), February 08, 2005.

dit-me , thang dan-ngu-cu-den , muon doi van la dan -ngu.

chien-tranh di nhien la co chet choc cua doi ben .

dau kho cho nhung thang dan nam giua 2 lan dan .

Cong-san thua ve quan -su ,nhung thang ve chinh-tri , va chinh-tri la thong-soai cua moi van-de.

Vi vay , ong-San thang tran Mau-Than 68. Dit-me , dan -ngu muon doi van la dan -ngu , do la li-do My rut-lui keo theo su xup do cua Viet nam -cong-tru .

Cac chu kkk co hieu anh noi gi khong ????

-- chi-bua (mingo@netscape.net), February 08, 2005.

Cac Chien Binh Su Doan Nhay Du cung da gop cong khong nho trong viec danh bat Bac Quan ( Quan CS Bac Viet ) ra khoi Sai Gon va Ngoai O vong Dai Tet Mau THan Nam 1968

Mhay Du va Tran Danh Tet Mau Than 1968


-- (
Nguoi Dan @ NHan Dan.News), February 08, 2005.



-- Du ma' thang` cho' Ho chi' Minh (Du ma thang Ho chi Minh@Hanoi.vn), February 08, 2005.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ