If my Landlord gets reposessed, what rights do I have as a tenant?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Repossession : One Thread

My Landlord has a "buy to let" mortgage, but has defaulted due to illness.

The Halifax has written to me saying it is repossessing and I must leave within 3 months.

It says in my tenancy contract that "The .tenancy may be brought to an end if the mortgagee requires possession on default of the borrower under ground 2, schedule 2 of .the Housing Act 1988"

I am disabled and it would be very difficult for me to move out.

Is there any way I can fight this - eg. human rights act?

Anyone know any lawyers in London who might have experience in these cases?


Thanks for any help.

-- Simon Pepper (sp2gu@email.com), April 30, 2004



Ahmed Bhutt may be worth a try at the Mary Ward Legal Centre 26-27 Boswell Street, London WC1N 3JZ Tel : (020) 7831 7079

Good Luck


-- M Amos (idgroms@hotmail.com), April 30, 2004.


You may find something of help on this site too: http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/index.cfm

-- M Amos (idgroms@hotmail.com), April 30, 2004.

Contact the Citizen's Advice Bureau nearest to you. They usually have very good resource on various issues and I believe they will be able to help a great deal with legal advice and/or action.

-- Trish McCann (trishacann@yahoo.co.uk), May 11, 2004.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ