Pedagogy training? : LUSENET : Everything About Teaching and Learning the Piano : One Thread

I am currently in a Syllabus program (level 6), and will finish the course at Level 10 with thorough knowledge of theory, sightreading, etc....I've been torn as to whether it will be necessary for me to have an actual Music Degree in order to be a qualified piano teacher. At age 50, I don't have all the time and energy in the world. Now I am thinking the best idea would be to finish my Syllabus course AND find pedagogy classes to enable me to teach. My question: How do you find a pedagogy class that is not part of a music degree progream? Would they be called something else? Thanks for any thoughts!

-- Rose (, August 05, 2003


i just graduated with an associates degree in piano pedagogy. you can definitely just get that degree. its normally categorized under the music departments majors, but it is possible. hopefully that helps a bit, good luck hunting!

-- jen carley (, August 05, 2003.

There are also certificate programs at some colleges.

My advice would be to do an online search of the catalogs for colleges you are interested in. Courses are most likely to be called Piano Pedagogy or Intro to Piano Pedagogy.

-- Arlene Steffen (, August 06, 2003.

I would also check into the Annual World Piano Pedagogy Conference which will be held in Las Vegas, Nevada USA next October. It's a great time for renewing yourself and your teaching concepts. There are also other classes/courses advertised at this conference, too.

-- Sandy Wilkinson (, October 27, 2003.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ