outstanding morgare delt

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Repossession : One Thread

my self and ex husband had our house repossesed 11yrs ago it was sold of for 20,000 pounds and the loan was 40,000 pound . with intrest the loan company are after 46,000 pounds and as my ex husband cannot be traced the are after me to pay in full. i only work part time and cannot pay back what they want i sent my details some six years ago but i have found a new partner and am wondering if i live with him will he be responcable for my dept. some one said after 12yrs i would be free from any thing outstanding . if you can give me some advice it would help . yoursfaithfully s. ware

-- susan ware (thepair90@hotmail.com), November 04, 2002



In the first instance I think you should read the Home Repo guidance notes on repossession. You need to get the Lender to proove their case, did they sell your property for a fair price for example? If they haven't take your case to your local MP. You mention that you sent your details to the Lender some 6 years ago, this may have constituted an acknowledgement of the alleged shortfall, in which case it could have restarted the 12 year limitation period, you really need to check this out with a solicitor (try the CAB or NAMV). You also need to establish whether you were issued with a money judgment order, if one has been issued the Lender, I believe, is able to chase you indefinitely. Good Luck.


-- M Amos (idgroms@hotmail.com), November 05, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ