Unidebt Collectors

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Repossession : One Thread

I have a solicitor acting on my behalf for a shortfall owed to the Royal Bank of Scotland. I have told the bank and Unidebt that all communications are to be made to my solicitor (because they do not know where I am living).

However, Unidebt and the Bank now know my address, and my concern now is that will they try to contact me at my address or are they still likely to make contact with me via my solicitors?

Should I expect someone knocking on my door or threat letters or calls now?

-- B Gill (baljinder_gill0@hotmail.com), July 15, 2002



If they have passed the letter to their solicitors then that solicitor has to deal only with your solicitor so I would suggest that the same applies if you have told the bank that they must deal through your solicitor they should comply. Do be warned however that we originally started out with a solicitor and Bradford & Bingley's solicitor called him about 10 times a day I allege to deliberately run up costs for us, we are now dealing direct with their solicitor using the advice given on this site, blissfully quiet for 4 months now, just waiting for the next letter to drop and then I have a whole new load of questions to ask them.

-- Chris (chris@anon.co.uk), July 19, 2002.

In my opinion this site will tell you more about what you need to know and how to deal with a shortfall claim than a solicitor. Apart from anything else, if I was your lender I would be thinking, if this guy can afford a solicitor then he must have money we can go after. My advice to you is deal with them direct.

-- Gordon Bennet (arsenewhinger@hotmail.com), July 19, 2002.

Thanks Chris and Gordon for your answers:

CHRIS, I only have a solicitor, there is no solicitor on the other end, only the Bank and the Debt Collectors.

GORDON, My solicitor is dealing with my shortfall, firstly because I am on benefit, and secondly I have a young child to look after. This is a joint shortfall with my ex, who has left me to deal with everything, the child, the debts, etc and has done a runner himself.

-- B Gill (baljinder_gill0@hotmail.com), July 19, 2002.

Don't panic just yet. RBS haven't done anything more than to send the account to Unidebt, which is their in-house debt collection company. However, my suggestion would be to ignore them unless you've already been in touch and if so, then to ask lots of awkward questions. They may, if they are unsuccessful ship the account out to another Debt Collector such as Moorcroft.

e-mail me if you want any more advice.

-- Mark O'Keeffe (markokeeffe@lineone.net), July 25, 2002.

Mark O'Keefe-I disagree with you totally about ignoring Unidebt, they are not in house, and simply collect on behalf of the Royal Bank of Scotland and if you have had the benefit of the money then you should have the dignity to repay it. Anyway, would it not be better to have a co-operating debt collection agency contacting you than them instructing Allied to bang on your door....I think you have the wrong attitude entirely. By the way Gill, maybe your solicitors aren't doing their job properley...ever considered that?

-- (haylz99@breathe.com), March 20, 2003.

Always deal with your creditors, otherwise they will not be agreeable to any arrangements you may want to put forward later on, can you please let me know if you have any contact for Unidebt though cos I can't seem to find them anywhere

-- JMM (JMMUddertugger@aol.com), August 22, 2003.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ