water pressure reduction

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

I neeed to reduce the water pressure in the barn on the pipe that supplies the pig nipples. It just comes out too fast for the animals. Throttling back the valve won't do it since pressure builds when flow is off at the nipple. Anyone have ideas? Would an air regulator work? Thanks for any input tom

-- tom (wysfarm@yahoo.com), April 22, 2002


I don't know what they're called but a plumbing supply place will have what you need. There is a device available that is designed to reduce water pressure.

-- Darren (df1@infi.net), April 22, 2002.

The ones that control water pressure do look similar, but I do not know if you can use the air regulator in place of the proper one.

Depending on the size of unit you need, a place that sells drip irrigation should have them. I have some and got them for drip lines. The large ones are big bucks, but the smaller ones aren't too bad.

Here is a url for a company that sells them with garden hose fittings for $10.95. http://www.christmas-tree-farm.com/dripgarden.html I did a search for the company, I've not dealt with them. Search for Tee-tape or drip irrigation for more.

-- Notforprint (Not@thekeyboard.com), April 22, 2002.

could you make the hole bigger on the nipple?

-- Stan (sopal@net-pert.com), April 22, 2002.

Tom, go to www.qcsupply.com go to search and type in pressure reducer. emory

-- Emory (NE PA) (et@hazleton.net), April 22, 2002.

Not quite understanding why you can't do this without one, but a pressure regulator will control the pressure to any level (well, almost) you want. They aren't cheap, though; a new one will run at least a hundred bucks.

-- joj (joj@home.org), May 01, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ