Order for Oral Examination of Judgment Debtor

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Repossession : One Thread

Leeds County Court have sent me an "Order for Oral Examination of Judgment Debtor". The claimant is Household Mortgage Corporation Plc who obtained a judgment and say I have failed to provide a statement or affidavit as to my means or liabilities. They are asking for 19105.38. This is the first letter I have recieved in the 4 1/2 years since the repossesion. WHAT DO I DO about it?

-- Guy Dixon (d.raymond@ntlworld.com), April 07, 2002


What you can do is apply to the Court to have the Judgement set aside. If you didn't know that the lender was suing you and you'd had no contact with the lender, then you can give this as your reason in the application. You should put down as much info as possible in the application, because you might not necessarily get a hearing in front of a judge, the judge might make his decision based on your application alone.

If the application is successful, then you can also have the oral exam hearing postponed. You are then back to square one in that you have to prepare your defence against the lender's claim. You then have the right to ask for papers etc substantiating their claim. There is information on this website about how to do that.

-- pendle (pendle_666@yahoo.co.uk), April 07, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ