rainwater use in humidifiers

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

i use rainwater in a humidifier which has a heating element. the result is a slight odor, algae like, and blackened water after 3 or 4 days. odor is not that bad. what causes it and the blackening? is there a possible health issue? the rainwater is collected in plastic barrels and strained before use in the humidifier.

-- joe belsan (sixpacks02@yahoo.com), March 26, 2002


I would think that the problem is bacteria. A humidifier would be a perfect environment for it to grow. You need to either boil your rainwater or treat it with bleach. Untreated rainwater can become contaminated from bird droppings, etc. on your roof.

-- Amanda (mrsgunsmyth@hotmail.com), March 26, 2002.

bet the algae was picked up off of the roof,, them you put it ina great enviroment to grow

-- Stan (sopal@net-pert.com), March 26, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ