Nationwide BS & MIGs : LUSENET : Repossession : One Thread

Hi , this is Elvira again from last month (same title)

You may recall that I spoke of my friend's predicament with Nationwide BS repossession which she had bought jointly with her boyfriend who then left her some years later . She threw in the keys back in 1995 or 1996 after trying to sell her flat ( could not as the flat above waterpipe bust her ceiling) and had since heard nothing . Last Friday 22/3/02 she received a letter from Eversheds Cardiff ( popular with lenders aren't they judging from this site) demanding payment for 32,000 plus interest. They sent her another letter today 26/3. She has written back saying that she thought the matter was resolved years ago and to provide a breakdown of their amount . I told her to be careful of admitting liability. What would be the next step forward? I should add that Nat. sold her property at 18k - well below value as flats like hers were going at 40k about that time .

Can any of you recommend a good solicitor to help ( Croydon area)?

She is v. distressed ( was nr a nervous breakdown at the time).

Thanks for your help & support last time i wrote.

-- Elvira (, March 26, 2002


I can tell you which one to on the way.

-- Too scared to say (, March 26, 2002.


I am having the same troubles with Evershits at the Cardiff Office although my shortfall is 53k. The first thing that I did was to slap SARN's on the Building Society, Evershits and another solictor. Get your mate to look at the Do's and Donts section of this website. DO Not feel threatened by their letters, they CANNOT take you to court, send "agents" to call on you or anyother threat. I told them that I was not going to repsond to these types of letters and they have backed off for now. Be polite but firm and get them to prove the claim. send me a e-mail if ya want any other info/help


-- John (, March 27, 2002.

Sorry to hear of your friend's troubles. But I wonder why John says they CANNOT take the case to court? In my instance, they can and did take me to court! Once its been to court and a judgement issued, you have no choice about filling in I&E forms, the court orders you to attend a meeting to give those details.

hth, avril

-- avril smith (, March 27, 2002.

They can of course take you to court if they think that they will get some money out of you however the spirit of what I was saying was that in order to take you to court they have to submit a claim. Its obvious that in this case they are at the lets sent a "Letter before Action" to scare you into paying up. Any letter received from a solictor are "letters before action" they have NO legal status. They cannot for instance say that they will "send agents to call on you" because agents cannot call on you unless they have a warrant. I suggest that you look at which is Eversheds debt recovery website, they detail the methods they go through. Or e-mail me privately and I'll send you some of the letters and e- mails that I have sent. Dont let the bastards grind you down, play them at their own game.


-- John (, March 27, 2002.

John, debt collector's are legally entitled to attend your home. What they cannot do is enter without permission/a warrant.

-- Too scared to say (, March 27, 2002.

Re; Croydon Solicitors

My pal is using a Mr Goodman at McGoldricks for his Data Protection Act prosicution of a bank, tel number 0208-681-1500.

Take note that this is not a recomendation to use the services of McGoldricks and you must satisfy yourself that they are suitable to assist you.

Good Luck.

-- Harry (, March 27, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ