Are syringes illegal? : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

I know about the advice out there for using syringes to inject Bt into crops like squash and such, and also for veteranary purposes, but someone once told me that syringes had to be purchases by prescription (for diabetics and such) and that just having them without a scrip was illegal. This so? If so, are there exclusions and such, or how do you keep them for the proper purposes?

-- Soni (, March 16, 2002


Here in Texas we can purchase them at feed stores, or any catalogs. So nope as far as Texas goes it isn't illegal. Vicki

-- Vicki McGaugh TX (, March 16, 2002.

They're usually of larger bore (needles) than what are used in hospitals, making them not likely to be used on humans. Check your local feed store.

-- al (, March 16, 2002.

in Mo.we also can get at feed store or any ag supply Rae

-- RAE HILBURN (, March 16, 2002.

animal size ok to purchase at feed stores and have seen them offered in gardening supplies for the use you quote(inject nematodes in cucurbits stems) Md and WV..have bought plenty for my goats and no mom is a diabetic and her srynges are prescription!

-- Bee White (, March 16, 2002.

Here in New York State I had to get a Certificate Of Need from the State Health Department and stating they were for agricultural use only.I am suppossed to keep them under double lock and keep an inventory according to regulations, which I do, but no one has ever checked on me. My vet says most farmers have a few syringes around in the milkhouse, etc. and to her knowlege I am the only one who bothered to get a certificate. Loosly enforced to say the least. Locally my vet sells me syringes with my certificate, but I have ordered them out of state via catalogue and no one ever asks me for my certificate. Yes, they are the same syringes and needles used for people. To discard them, I put used ones in a milk jug or soda bottle with cap and take them to the hospital or vets office. They are required by law to take these for disposal.

-- Kate henderson (, March 16, 2002.

We live in Alabama. My son has allergies that require that I give him shots at home. I have never had to have a prescription to purchase the syringes. I just go to the pharmacy and tell them that I need a package of syringes and that is all there is to it. I have never been questioned about it. Lisa B.

-- Lisa B. (, March 16, 2002.

Soni...according to my Omaha vaccine catalog, New York residents must supply a certificate of need (as Kate said). Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island are not permitted to purchase them at all.

-- Marcia (, March 16, 2002.

They're not illegal here, as far as I can tell. I bought a whole box of syringes with needles, and the needles are small, too small for the goats in fact, excpet maybe for newborns. What I do wonder about, is the legality issues regarding the disposal of the needles. I try to jam them into a plastic jug or juice can, and usually stick a note in there saying that these were used for animals- goats. I'm unsure if this is the correct way to do it, but I can just imagine some dumpster diver bungling around and accidentally getting pricked, and then panicking.

-- Rebekah (, March 16, 2002.

We buy them at the feed store here in California to, we store our used needles in coffee cans and take them to our vet who disposes of them.

-- kathy h (, March 16, 2002.

Rebecca, Save the used needles in a plastic or metal container. When you get enough or are going into town, stop at the local health department and they will properly dispose of them for you. That's what I've always done, the only other option is to check with your local vet, he may accept them for disposal too. Peace, Kathy

-- Kathy Aldridge (, March 16, 2002.

The Certificate of Need thing was a pain in the butt, so I go to Pennsylvania for all my needles and syringes now. The border is less than 10 minutes away and I can get everything I need-cheap. Rabies vaccine can't be sent to NY either but I can buy it in PA over the counter-but in NYS the rabies vaccine must be given by a Vet in order to comply with certification. The weird thing is that when I buy my 5 way vaccine for the horses the single doses come with a needle and syringe and I don't need the Cert. of need for those! Truly bizarre.

Stacy in NY

-- Stacy (, March 16, 2002.

Legal in Ontario and likely everywhere in Canada. BC and Que might be different, they seem to "need" to be different. Rabies Vac would be Vet administered, 8 way 5 way 2 way vac's are over the counter. New meds laws coming though you'll need a Livestock Meds course certificate. Been there done that but hafta do it again. New govt. new hoop to jump.

-- Ross (, March 16, 2002.

In Ohio they are legal to buy and have. You can get human syringes at a pharmancy as long as you dont look like a junkie. You can get vet grade products at feed and farm stores.

-- Gary (, March 16, 2002.

Legal in Indiana, any farm store has them

-- jack c (, March 17, 2002.

Can get our syringes and the needles from our local farm vet for use on our animals from the vet in NY state. Not script needed since we they are supplying them to us. Had to have a script for insulin syringes for our diabetic dog from the PA vet though. I use to be able to get rabies vaccine from a animal catalog but they will now longer send it through the mail to us. How did the other writer get hers in PA ??? Let me know ??? I just take our used ones to the vets for disposal.

-- Helena (, March 17, 2002.

I've never needed syringes for human use, but I buy them for critter use from Jeffers, Omaha Vaccine, and other suppliers. You can purchase by the 'each' or in boxes of 100 in various sizes. You can purchase the syringes and needles together or separately. The feed stores also sell them.

You should know what size needles and syringes are needed for the various products and critters before ordering.

-- ~Rogo (, March 17, 2002.

Where does one get that info?

-- Soni (, March 17, 2002.

You might start with your vet, Soni. You can also call places like Jeffers, Omaha Vaccine or any of the supply houses. It's been so many years that I can't remember how I first learned. If you use what's meant for a dog, like a size 22, one inch needle on a bovine, you may not place the medication/vaccine where it belongs. And the 1 1/2 inch needle used for the equine could damage a dog.

Some medications are thicker and won't push thru a small needle. They are also pumped into the critter at a slower rate.

Many suppliers include the syringe/needle with the vaccine when you order the one dose size.

-- ~Rogo (, March 17, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ