I need your advice

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Country Families : One Thread

My daughter attends a local college. Her roommate has been giving her a very hard time since December. The college finally kicked her out of the room so my daughter could move back in. Her roommate is spreading lies about her and threatening her,etc. The college talks to her all the time but she is not scared of them. She continues to do things. After this last talk she slipped a condom under her door way. She opened up an anonymous yahoo account to send threatening emails to her boyfriend. We had that traced and could prove she sent these emails. We gave the proof to the college. We found out that is a federal felony. The college talked to her again and she continues. What is left to do legally? The yuckiest part of all this is this girl claims to be a Christian.

-- Cindy Herbek (dh40203@navix.net), March 10, 2002


Document everything in writing and get a restraining order. Get the college's records of talking to her as well. The sooner the better.

-- GT (nospam@nospam.com), March 10, 2002.

Contact the police

-- DW (djwallace@sotc.net), March 10, 2002.

We had a similar situation with someone my husband worked with. We contacted the police and just had a report made on the threats and the person. Then my husband told the guy we had filed a police report on him and that took care of our problem. Sounds like this girl may be tougher though. You might want to go ahead and do a restraining order. You do need to go to the police, though. The college obviously can't handle the situation.

-- Deena in GA (dsmj55@aol.com), March 10, 2002.

I think contacting the police is a good idea. Just call or go in and explain the situation to one of the officers. If it is a federal offense, I hate to say it, but the FBI may end up involved also.

Be sure to talk with your daughter also; this must be tremendously stressful for her. Make sure it's not too much for her.

-- Christine in OK (cljford@mmcable.com), March 11, 2002.

Document--document everything-----write it down---no matter how trivial it may seem!!!! Also write down how you are feeling about this situtation right now /as well as your daughter---in case you need it later it could help your attorney--(it also lets you see on paper the way you & your daughter may really be feeling)--as if the FBI do get involved you maybe called apon to be a witness in court--- I pray it goes no futher----that the girl will stop----& not take it any futher----but do report it to the -police & do make for sure you have the college records FIRST!!!!!

We had a drug dealer & gun salesman tear up part our motel one time--- a real long story--(scary story)--but keep good records!!!! And document EVERYTHING!!!! And stay allert!!!! And if your daughter needs to move & change schools----it could be a wise decision!! I am well aware of that cost--- & loss in credit hours----but sometimes we have to TRUELY LOOK AT OUR MENTIAL SAFETY & PHY. SAFTEY FIRST!!! And many times we don't-----I don't want to scare you-----but this girl could be capable of more than you realize!!! Stay alert---& document---& set all your documnets together & then take it to the police---so they have plenty to work from & not dismiss it---as not as serious as it could be--- You & your daughter & the troubled girl will be in my prayers!!

-- Sonda in Ks. (sgbruce@birch.net), March 11, 2002.

I agree about the restraining order. Has anyone tried talking to the girl's parents?

-- Rebekah (daniel1@itss.net), March 11, 2002.

This is so sad. I will pray for your daughter and you as IM sure you are stressed. Its too bad her college experience is being ruined by a person like this. Just remember that all things work for good to them that love God.

-- Kristean Thompson (pigalena_babe@yahoo.com), March 11, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ