Need the name of a deep-digging garden tool : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

I remember seeing a picture of a type of ?spade-fork? for digging deeply in garden to loosen the soil. It had a few steel rods welded to a bar which was attached to two handles. The operator would stand on the bar while holding on to the handles to push the rods into the soil and then the soil could be loosened by rocking back and forth. If anyone has such a tool, does it work well? how far apart are the steel rods and how many? Where can I see a picture of one? Thanks in advance.

-- Terry Lesan (, March 09, 2002


Lee Valley Tools sells it, it's called a broadfork or u-bar digger. Theirs is $85. They are also recommended and shown in the Jeavons book "How to Grow More Vegetables." A man I know who runs a CSA had a welder whip one up for him. It's much sturder (and heavier) than the Lee Valley one, but since he drags it, the weight isn't an issue, and it works really well. The lee valley site is:

Look for u-bar in the search engine. Good luck!

-- Laura Rae Jensen (, March 09, 2002.

Terry I believe what you are describing is called a broad fork. Elliot Coleman discusses it and it's use in "The New Organic Grower".

-- JJ Grandits (, March 09, 2002.

you can also look at

items # GDO500 and GDO150 for two other styles of broadfork

-- Thumper/inOKC (, March 09, 2002.

I like the broadfork sold by Johnny's Selected Seeds, their web site is: It has a slight curve at the top of the tines that makes it a little more efficient. It also seems easier to use for fairly long periods. Works really well.

-- Murray in ME (, March 09, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ