Need to know a knitting term, please : LUSENET : Cooking & Crafts : One Thread

I am just beginning to knit my first sock. There is a term I am not familar with and there is no explaination in the pattern. It says to ssk. What does ssk mean?

-- Julie Ann (julie@none.none), March 07, 2002


Hi Julie Ann, This is a left slanting decrease. It means slip, slip, knit. You slip two stitches from the left needle to the right needle, slipping each one separately and as if you were knitting the stitches. Next you knit these two slipped stitches together by slipping your left needle into them from left to right in front of your right needle. This decreases one stitch by making the two stitches one stitch. I hope this is clear. Socks are so much fun to knit! Good luck.

-- nancy (, March 08, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ