Overstayed 17 years

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Immigration Law - Law Offices of Michael Boyle : One Thread

I came to US on F1 visa in 1984 and stayed here ever since. I found a woman a few years ago and we are thinking about marriage. Am I qualified to get green card? I heard some options like "cancellation of removal" how long does it take to get approved on average? Or are there any other solution? Thanks.

-- jani jalil (jjalil@yahoo.com), January 16, 2002


It looks like you qualify for a regular marriage application. Your prospective wife is a US citizen, and you were inspected by the INS when you entered the country. (Do you have proof, like your passport stamp or I-94 card? Such proof is very important.)

Cancellation is an option for someone who has been here more than ten years, is of good moral character, and has a citizen or permanent resident spouse, parent or child who would suffer great hardship if the noncitizen were deported. Cancellation also requires that the INS begin deportation proceedings against you. A marriage application is much faster, much cheaper, and much less challenging.

Please call us at 203 239-2299 if you would like to review your case.

-- Michael Boyle (boylelaw@aol.com), January 16, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ