I have always wanted punched tin cupboards, pie-safe, etc. and have talked hubby into making me a pie-safe. He will make the "frame" from wood but now I need a good source for the tin to "punch" for the sides and the door panels.

Where would be the best place to obtain the tin besides to order them from a mail-order (very expensive) catalog that sells the plans and tin for the pie-safe and other types of furniture??

I want this to be a good looking end product but also save as much as I can in the obtaining of the items as well!!!!


-- wolfie (, January 08, 2002


Do you think you could use galvanized sheet metal? If you can, visit your local plumber, ask to see his scrap pile. He/she will probably GIVE you all need. The one I patronize in my city does.

-- Buddy (, January 08, 2002.

Hi, I intend to use "recycled" siding from the old mobile home graveyard to roof my cottage. Sounds to me like this would work for your project too! You could even choose the color!

-- Susan in Northern Michigan (, January 08, 2002.

Printing companies always have surplus used thin metal plates. But I don't know the lead content!

Lots of places sell the galvanised sheets in many sizes.

You can also get cladded stuff from the same supply stores.

But, how food-safe do you need this to be? Watch out for lead & other poisons from 'unknown' metals you don't want to be around your food supply.

I went to (portal of your choice), and did a search for 'food safe tin' and got what looks to be several suppliers of it. You might wish to explore those options? I think you want _real_ tin, not just any old metal plate as we commonly use the term.


-- paul (, January 08, 2002.

You can get tin and similar bright metals from Phoenix Pewter in Birmingam, England. I would recommend pewter because it's softer than pure tin and easier to use, doesn't tarnish, AND DOESN'T CONTAIN LEAD - a common misconception.

Contact or Telephone: 0121 772 7060 (International: +44 121 772 7060) Fax: 0121 772 6020 (International: +44 121 772 6020) Email:

-- Robert Myles (, January 08, 2002.

You should be able to scrounge some sheet steel for free. Its used in just about anything such as cheap shelves, cupboards, appliances, etc although plastic is taking over. If you want new metal look for shops that do sheet metal work or just sell steel. If you are doing something special you might also look at copper sheeting (used for valley and drip edge on older house roofs. It weathers to a greenish color. Might look nice with a reproduction "antique".

-- HermitJohn (, January 08, 2002.

Call an upscale roofing supply company. They should have all types of metals, which are sold to roofers for guttering and flashing. I bet that they have a scrap pile of dented sheets that they would sell at a reduced price.

You might also try your local recycling center.

Most printing plates these days are aluminum, and will have some type of printing on one side, which can be difficult to clean up.

-- clovis (, January 08, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ