Images from Brownie Hawkeye - enlargements or contact prints? : LUSENET : Brownie Cameras : One Thread

I have a Brownie Hawkeye Flash model. I would like to ask you if negatives from Brownies were supposed to enlarge and if they really were by for example Kodak Laboratories in Rochester enlarged. What is better from Brownie images: Cantact prints in printing frame on Azo paper OR "oversize" enlargements. Thank you very much.

-- Pavel Roubic (, December 11, 2001


Brownie Hawkeye Flash cameras take 620 film. This film is identical to 120 film which is readily available. It is the spool size that makes the difference. If you can find a lab that will develop/print 120 film and you are willing to re-spool the 120 film onto the 620 spool, then you should'nt have a problem getting your film developed. Just tell the lab to return your 620 spool after they procees your film. As far as what is better for brownie images? That's up to the individual. I do contact prints simply because I can develop my own B&W film and I have the equipment for contact printing(enlarger/glass etc...). Basically it's up to you! Have fun!! Tracy

-- T. Clark (, December 12, 2001.

Hi, Pavel. The negatives from a Brownie Hawkeye, being 6 x 6 cm, are larger than those of 35mm film, so they are naturally better suited to enlargement. If you develop and print your own, go ahead and experiment with sizes of enlargements. If you use a commercial photo lab, start with 5 x 7 inch (or 5 x 5, since they are square negs) and see how that turns out. I've done pics from a Hawkeye up to 8x10 with some success, depending on the film speed and lighting conditions, so don't be afraid to experiment.

Good luck and have fun!

-- Pete Lutz (, December 13, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ