RAT Update...

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

We got the one in the house--we weren't able to get "one bite" (the store is out right now), and didn't have any cement to mix with flour and haven't gotten a chance to get to town to get it, so we tried the recommended baking soda and mixed it with cornmeal. I found him wobbling around our kitchen floor at 4 a.m. this morning. We had a hoe in the hallway (don't all country folk) and well you know the rest of the story. Also, one dead in the dog's water outside this morning, and one dead in the yard. We've put out several plates of the cornmeal and baking soda and they are eating it. It looks as if it is working. I hope that is why they are dying (I'd hate to be giving them free meals). We still plan to get the other stuff as soon as possible. Thanks again to all you great "Countrysiders" for all of your help and concern...it makes the whole situation a little more bearable knowing others have faced the same disgusting circumstances and won. Thanks to all who gave advice and as always may God bless.

-- Sharon (spangenberg@hovac.com), November 10, 2001


Great , if you have to see them dead is ALWAYS better .

-- Patty {NY State} (fodfarms@slic.com), November 10, 2001.

Sharon, the last time I needed Just One Bite, they didn't have it at the local feed shop either, so I got it through Jeffers.

-- Sheryl in me (radams@sacoriver.net), November 10, 2001.

Sharon, I went back and re-read the rat thread. I couldn't find BAKING SODA mentioned anywhere. Did someone email that to you? Could you share the information, again if I missed it somehow in that thread?

-- Joy F [in So. Wisconsin] (CatFlunky@excite.com), November 10, 2001.

I e-mailed Joy to let her know, but if anyone else was interested I did get at least 3 e-mails telling me to mix baking soda with corn meal or flour. Apparently rats cannot pass gas and it results in their death. It seems to be working...we'll keep doing it until we can get some cement and/or one bite. They are defintely eating it and we got 3 in one day--that's a lot more success than we've been having. Hey, it is worth a try!

-- Sharon (spangenberg@hovac.com), November 10, 2001.

Well, heck, if it's working then go with it as long as it does. It's a lot better than leaving poisoned rat-shaped nibblies out for your dogs and cats. I'd be surprised if it worked 100%, but if it gets 90% of them, or even just 50%, and then you have to use real poison for the rest, you're still a lot better off. Also, rats get suspicious of poisoned food sources fast. It may be worth at the same time offering them a different type of flour with the cement in it. Those that shy away from one may take the other just because it's an alternative.

-- Don Armstrong (darmst@yahoo.com.au), November 11, 2001.

Gee, do you think that the baking soda idea would work on mice too? I have one driving me crazy in the walls behind my bed.

-- Sandie in Maine (peqbear@maine.rr.com), November 11, 2001.

Since they're already stuffed and leavened, time for a nice hot grill- fire!

-- Soni (thomkilroy@hotmail.com), November 11, 2001.

Hey Soni, you may want to grill some for your Thanksgiving meal--I'll pass :^) I haven't heard any chewing on our walls or floors today or last night--that's a good sign! We just keep refilling the plates and they just keep eating it. We do still plan to get the cement as soon as we can and try that and the flour/meal mix. We went to the farm store after church today and they were still out of Just One Bite (according to their shelf they reordered on 10/4--who knows when they'll get that in). I hope to be rid of them SOON!

-- Sharon (spangenberg@hovac.com), November 11, 2001.

Sharon why go to a cement mix (couldn't that harm other animals?), when the soda is bloating them to death?

-- rick K (rick_122@hotmail.com), November 12, 2001.

Going with the cement mix just as an added precaution--a multifaceted approach. I want them ALL gone. There are some still out there, I've seen them. The numbers are definitely reduced though. The house is much quieter now. I wouldn't put it where anything other than a rat or mouse could get to it--I'm VERY protective of my pets and livestock...they are like family around here. All I've been told it wouldn't hurt a pet if it ate a dead rat that ate the cement mix. None of my animals eat them whole anyway, the cats just eat the heads and the dogs just kill them, they don't eat them. If they seem to be under control before I get to town to get the cement though, I may just leave well enough alone. Thanks for the concern.

-- Sharon (spangenberg@hovac.com), November 12, 2001.

I have a big problem with Rats in my barn. They are in the walls and I have seen and killed quite a few. I have the live traps and have drowned at least 5 and our Dog has killed two. I also have 3 cats on the job and 2 additional cats in the adjoining room of the barn. I have horses and have one who is having a baby in January. I want rid of these disgusting creatures before the horse-baby comes!! I see baking soda I mixed it with flour and have not seen any dead rats!! I'm going to try it mixed with the cornmeal tonight!! I put out soda pop and no luck. I have tried almost all the suggestions but I think I may just call a pest control service and lock up the cats!! If anyone has the exact combination to kill the rats with baking soda and whatever please post it here or email me!! I would love to be able to kill them without poison so I won't have to lock up my cats or dogs and it will be difficult to move them!! Please anyone with suggestions I'm all ears!!

-- Jen (jen8571@aol.com), December 08, 2001.

Hi Sharon

Phoenix is in the grip of an invasion of rats and I find what is written interesting, but nowhere does it say how to mix what in what part. Could you write the exact measures for flour-cement, baking soda etc and a mention of why this wotks?



-- Homi Kaikobad (aryaone@earthlink.net), February 14, 2002.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ