US and Britain go on alert for possible attack

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Grassroots Information Coordination Center (GICC) : One Thread

US and Britain go on alert for possible attack Security Fears

By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles

22 September 2001 Britain and America are on high alert this weekend for fear of renewed attacks in the wake of last Tuesday's strikes on New York and Washington.

Acting on various leads that have emerged through the investigation, the US Federal Bureau of Investigation has sent out advisories with particular emphasis on water and power facilities.

John Ashcroft, the US Attorney General, was reported yesterday to have phoned officials in Massachusetts warning of a possible terror attack in Boston in the next few days.

Public access to landmark monuments, such as the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, is being limited or halted. And America's Federal Aviation Authority has ordered all commercial airliners to avoid the airspace above major sporting fixtures this weekend.

According to Boston's Mayor, Thomas Menino, and other public officials, Mr Ashcroft's decision to call for heightened security was not based on any specific threat.

However, law enforcement and intelligence officials have said they believe the events of 11 September were intended to be just the beginning of a campaign against the United States, lasting several days and involving many different sorts of targets.

The FBI has learned that today, 22 September, has emerged as a key date because five suspected associates of the hijackers were booked on the same United Airlines plane from San Antonio to Denver. That flight has now been cancelled, as much for reasons of slumping business as security, the airline said.

Sir John Stevens, the Scotland Yard Commissioner,has said there was no specific threat against London. But when he was asked, who was the biggest US ally, and what could be the next biggest target, he said: "It's got to be here."

Bob Graham, the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, has indicated that a second wave of attacks might involve a major infrastructural disruption, such as blowing up a bridge or poisoning a city's water system.

Water authorities from Connecticut to California were on particularly high alert.

It is not clear whether the FBI and other agencies have cracked down on the criminal network to prevent further mayhem there have been a handful of arrests so far, although dozens of others have been taken into custody for questioning. It is also not clear whether 22 September was intended to be a second day of attacks a fallback date in case the first wave had to be called off or simply a decoy to frighten people and confuse the investigation.

In France yesterday seven people were rounded up in the Paris suburbs at dawn and held in connection with a suspected plot to attack US targets in France.

The seven, who were not identified, are believed to be linked to Djamel Begal, a French Algerian arrested in Dubai in July, who has told investigators of a plan to blow up the US embassy in Paris.

Meanwhile, The New York Times, reported that the cost of last Tuesday's attacksmay have been as little as $200,000

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=95425

-- Martin Thompson (mthom1927@aol.com), September 22, 2001

Answers

Water facilities, now that's a frightening thought. I wonder how well guarded water facilities in our big cities are.

-- Chance (fruitloops@hotmail.com), September 23, 2001.

Yes, from what I've been able to ascertain, it's biological and/or chemical warfare next, horror of horrors.

-- Billiver (billiver@aol.cm), September 23, 2001.

Maybe I'm missing something; but, with all the warnings we've had about coming terrorism on U.S. soil over the past ten years, why weren't we ready?

-- Nancy7 (nancy7@hotmail.com), September 23, 2001.

You ask, "why weren't we ready?" Probably because we do not live in a police state -- yet.

-- Joe (CactusJoe001@AOL.com), September 23, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ