what kind of queen excluder do you use?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : A Village Commons : One Thread

Ive been loking into getting a large sheet of fabricated metal,, to use as queen excluders, What kind,,sizes do you use? They sent me a sample of perforated metal,, though its the correct size holes,, I think there would be ALOT of wear on the girls.

-- Stan (sopal@net-port.com), July 29, 2001


Stan, I've seen those excluders, but didn't like the looks of them. Are you going for comb honey? Usually, unless you're crowding your bees, or have a very productive queen, I just use two deep supers for the brood chamber. There is another model of excluder that I have used. It has a wooden frame, with round metal rods running through the middle. I've only seen it fail once, when a very young queen got above it, and then had to stay. It is not stressful for your girls either.

-- Judy (whileaway3@cs.com), July 30, 2001.

If you want comb honey, try a top bar hive. I've got links to plans for them if you want 'em.

-- Sojourner (notime4@summer.spam), July 31, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ