Systemic Poison Ivygreenspun.com : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread
Well I got poison ivy pretty bad a couple of weeks ago, and now it's popping up in places I know never touched the stuff (my eyelids and the backs of my ears, for example, not to mention all over my arms and legs), and it's the worst I've ever had it. Went to the doc and he said it was "systemic poison ivy", where the allergen actually gets into the blood stream. Not fun. So they put me on steroids (also not fun). Anyone else had any experience with this?
-- Elizabeth (Lividia66@aol.com), July 04, 2001
I know the oil in poisen ivy can last a year or more. When I know I have touched it,, I wash in alcohol,, that cuts the oil. I also prevent the reaction by, eating small leaves when the plant is small,, your body wont react to it if it thinks its a food source (old indian trick)
-- Stan (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 04, 2001.
The itching, redness, and swelling associated with contact with poison ivy is due to the body's response to the oil, Urushiol. This oil is by itself somewhat harmless, but the human body responds in such a way as to attack the dermal layer in which the Urushiol is bound. This attack upon the dermal layers is what causes the itching, swelling, and redness. Sometimes, the urushiol oil in poison ivy can enter the bloodstream and set off a systemic reaction in which new eruptions of the rash occur every three to eight hours. A systemic reaction can last up to five weeks while your body eliminates the poison ivy toxins through the skin! Systemic reactions are not common, but they typically are severe. They can be caused by · breathing smoke from burning poison ivy plants · weed whacking poison ivy · touching the cut stems or vines of poison ivy · picking up piles of cut weeds that contain poison ivy · exposing a cut or scratch to poison ivy · deliberately rubbing a poison ivy leaf or stem directly on the skin · eating the plant Considering the five week period to self-resolve I think the steroids are the lesser of the two evils.
-- Auntie Annie (email@example.com), July 04, 2001.
Elizabeth, was this the reason for the oatmeal question? I hope you are feeling better soon.
-- Auntie Annie (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 04, 2001.
I had systemic poison ivy. Thought I was basicly immune to the stuff; could work around it with no problem, until one time I really got into it, cleaning it out by hand around an old house. It took me well over a year to get it out of my system. I didnt take steroids, though. Now, my motto is "leaves of three, let them BE!
-- daffodyllady (email@example.com), July 04, 2001.
Does anyone know the incubation period for poison ivy and poison oak? How long from exposure to appearance of symptoms? Thanks.
-- Gary in Indiana (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 04, 2001.
That probably depends on your sensitivity. For my husband, it's about 10 minutes. He reacts badly.
-- Mona in OK (email@example.com), July 05, 2001.
I, too have the systemic allergy to poison ivy. Several years ago I took the series of allergy shots for it and that helped a lot. Cortisone cream (a steroid) from the drugstore will help. Shots may be necessary if you get it badly. Once I was healed of it in minutes when it was weeping and my arms were tolally blistered up by applying oil from the lamp at the tomb of St. John Maximovitch in San Francisco.
-- seraphima (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 05, 2001.
Yes, the poison ivy was the reason for the oatmeal question. The aveeno can get a little expensive if you use it alot. The steroids already seem to be working (yea!). After this clears up and I'm off the steroids, I think I might start taking Rustox, which is some pill that helps lessen your reaction. Has anyone else used something like this? Is it safe?
-- Elizabeth (Lividia66@aol.com), July 05, 2001.
RhusTox is a homeopathic remedy and is completely safe. What it does is stimulate your own immune system to deal with the reaction to poison ivy thereby getting your own body to deal with the problem.
Homeopathy has been around a very long time and remedies are made using a very specific formula.
-- Stacia in OK (OneClassyCowgirl@aol.com), July 05, 2001.
I have taken (and given to my kids) rhustox for stinger nettles and it worked great. Apis is another one (used primarily for bee stings) that works well.
-- amy richards (email@example.com), July 05, 2001.
Try drinking goat's milk from goats who have access to poison ivy, start slowly, and work up to a cup a day, will work like allergy shots to build up your natural immunity.
-- Annie Miller in SE OH (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 07, 2001.
elizabeth: i am in the same situation as you areat the moment, my place in far northern california is covered with poison oak same as ivy & sumac. my last trip july 1st, clearing a fence line wearing long sleeved shirt, gloves, etc., i still got it on both arms, and behind one ear. i wash with alcohol, technu & lots of soap & water. it get me every time. reaction times differ, mine is 48-72 hours. it takes me ten-15 days to clear regardless if, i put caladryl or similar products on the outbreaks. i have alot of fence line yet to clear but, it's got to be done so dealing with this terrible stuff is a given. btw, the technu product seems to be the best for me to use after exposure to oak/sumac/ ivy. wash with lots of cold water and only use the alcohol rinse if, you are done for the day and won't re-expose yourself because it takes the body several hours to re-generate the surface body oil that protects you naturally. lol bob m.
-- bob mccaffrey (email@example.com), July 09, 2001.
Elizabeth, I know where you are coming from!! My problem is I never know when I get in the stuff!!! So alcohol does me no good!! Yes I know what it looks like, it just gets me anyway! RhusTox seems to work better than anything the Docs EVER gave me-including their famous shots(that never have anyeffect!)Health food stores carry it and its small enough to carry in your pocket. I even took it once when I knew I had been exposed-and had a very light case. It works!! susie
-- susie yeager (firstname.lastname@example.org), July 10, 2001.
Try Reishi mushrooms. This can be found in gel-caps in the herb section of the healthfood store. A friend who is very sensitive to oak/ivy/sumac tells me it works every time for him. He will swallow some down before exposure, or if he forgets, after. Either way, it's an immediate cure and 100% effective as a preventative for him. I am sensitive too, and get a nasty, systemic reaction that will last a month. I just contacted the itch, and tried the Reishi... with no apparant relief. I languished a few days, then tried it again, with a larger dose (about five capsules), and it worked! I had to take some more the next day when it started to come back. Now it's gone; two weeks early. I've tried everything else, and read about everything ever written about oak/ivy/sumac. This is the only thing I've found that works. $12.95 I paid for a bottle of 100 capsules. Next time, I will try it before exposure.
-- Mike Stoudenmire (email@example.com), February 10, 2002.
Noticed this thread and wanted to share a site with all of you. I found this product @ www.zanfel.com
Check it out. It claims to completely pull the Urishoido (Or whatever it's called) oil from your body, completely eliminating the contact dermititis associated with poison ivy, oak, and sumac. It's relief is supposedly instantaneous. :)
I'm picking it up today and will post the 24/48 hour results to all.
-- Tim K- (firstname.lastname@example.org), April 04, 2002.
When we first moved out here, most of our neighbors were living elsewhere and just coming up for the weekends to clear the underbrush. After burning all day, they had to rush their daughter to the hospital after she inhaled smoke from burning posion ivy. She was very ill for a couple of weeks. Take the remedy of drinking poison ivy goat milk with a grain of salt, for some it will make you break out on your bottom! I am all but immune to posion ivy, my husband can look at it and break out. He also does not drink goat milk during the spring because of this! Vicki
-- Vicki McGaugh TX (Nubians) (email@example.com), April 04, 2002.