Roll Away Nest Box? : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

Someone mentioned a "roll away next box". Can you tell me more about these. constuction and under what circumstances you would use one. Very interesting! Thanks!! :-)

-- Little Quacker (, June 16, 2001


These are a commercially produced nest box. They look like regular nest boxes, but the floors of the nests are angled so the eggs roll towards the front and come to rest under the "roosts" in front of the boxes. The hens are unable to reach them ,so they can not peck them, and the eggs do stay quite clean. Murray McMurray ( them available for purchase, but they are spendy. We bought ours second hand.

-- Nancy Bakke-McGonigle Mn. Sunset (, June 18, 2001.

Thanks for enlightening me! Now I know. LOL, I was picturing something on wheels! Thanks again. :-)

-- Little Quacker (, June 20, 2001.

Here in the UK another type is available, the eggs roll out to the back, this box is a small unit, just two nests and fits to the outside of the house. I beleive the manufacturers to be called Chickequip.

-- Rooster (, August 12, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ