banding hens (to mark those laying) : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

Dave C mentioned banding hens to identify those that are laying. I have called several feed stores in my area, but they don't carry any equipment for banding. Is this a kit and where can it be purchased? Thanks for your help.

Carolyn O

-- Carolyn O (, May 08, 2001


Response to banding hens

How about colored yarn on a leg ?

-- Patty {NY State} (, May 08, 2001.

You can purchase leg bands from Murray McMurray Hatchery box 458, Webster City Iowa 50595 PH# 1-800-456-3280. Web site

-- cowgirlone (, May 08, 2001.

I use the small size electrical wire ties put on loosely. They come in may colors and stripes; cheap too. I snip off the long end with a fingernail clippers. Sandy

-- Sandy in MN (, May 08, 2001.

I got some of those litte colored plastic rings and tried it one time. I don't know what you call them but they are real cheap. I kind of got off on something else and forgot about it but some on my hens still have them on their legs after over a year. Eagle

-- eagle (, May 09, 2001.

We used paint! When we caught them on the nest and got an egg we sprayed a little orange paint on their backs. Soon we knew which were laying and which were not. We ate the ones who were not! the paint quickly wore off, or was rubbed off by the rooster!

-- Robin Frontz (, May 09, 2001.

Be careful with those plastic colored rings! On the large heavy breeds, they can be too small and eventually cut into the leg. I have had great success using the heavy rubber bands that are used to hold lobster claws shut. It's best to take the bands off before you cook the lobsters, as they (the bands) last better that way. OK! We're in Maine, so we get them easily, but I can have some shipped to you (here I'm talking the lobsters AND bands!) if you like! Really! GL!

-- Brad (, May 11, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ