How do you have well water checked? : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

We found five acres of land for sale and the property is very nice. Fenced on four sides, electricity on the property and a well. The property is not occupied and has never been occupied to our knowledge. There is no pump in the well to measure the flow. There are neighbors and they have wells, too. Before we make an offer, how can we have the well tested? Quality of water and flow? What else do we have to think of? The property is in the Texas Hill Country. Any help is appreciated.

-- Gerhild Turner (, April 01, 2001


Well drillers in our area carry submersible pumps and generators to clean a newly drilled well, and to test the flow rate. You should be able to find one that would provide a test at a reasonable rate.

As for testing the water itself, I would pump the well for at least 30 minutes, then catch a water sample to be taken to a laboratory for testing. Most often the laboratory prefers that you use their sample bottles as they know how they have been cleaned, sterlized, etc. So check with them before getting any sample water.

-- Notforprint (, April 01, 2001.

Getting your water tested is very wise before you buy. We have purchased two homes with bad water/wells. You think we'd learn! The county can do a bacteria test for $15 or so, call the health dept. A local well driller can tellyou the rest. It's a good investment. Mary

-- Mary Fraley (, April 01, 2001.

Gerhild,Look around for a well is a bucket with a one way valve on it that you lower on a rope into the well.That will get you your sample.Your county extensian agent should be able to put you onto a testing lab for coliforms.I would suggest that you take that a step further and Contact the department of environmental protection and find out where to get the sample teste for pesticides heavy metals, and other poisons.It is worth the money even if you don't buy the place after all.Don't take any ones word for it that the well is good get it tested.Clean water is too important.take from another person having water nightmares!

-- greg (, April 02, 2001.

Call the county. In some rural districts, they have programs to periodically test (yearly, I think) for little or no cost. County extension agent's office can usually provide this service, too, though they send it out and it will cost $6 (IL) to $18 (ID). If you are closer to town, usually the health department or water department does this, also for a fee.

-- Sue Diederich (, April 02, 2001.

Thanks for all of you who had responded to my question. I am a lot more knowledgeable now. Of course the realtor had wanted us to make an offer immediately but I felt that I could get the best advice from fellow Countrysiders.

-- Gerhild Turner (, April 03, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ