pumping water from pond

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

I am planning a raised bed vegetable garden. The house does not have an outdoor faucet to attach a garden hose. I would like to water the garden using water from a springfed pond. I went to price some water pumps at the local pet shop selling pumps for aquariums. They were too expensive and the longest they have is 50 feet. Is there a cheaper pump?

-- Mariza Medina (5655@bigfoot.com), February 08, 2001


How far away is the Pond from the garden? and is there power (elec) close? If the pond is up hill think about sphioning it. You can get a sump pump that will hook up to a hose as long as you have electricy close. just drop the pump in and turn on the power and stand back. you can get a sump pump at a hardward store for around 40.00 dale

-- dale (dgarr@fidnet.com), February 08, 2001.

thanks dale. the garage close to the pond has electricity. does the sump pump get dropped into the deep side or shallow part of the pond? mariza

-- marizamedina (5655@bigfoot.com), February 09, 2001.


If your house has a basement or crawl space, putting in an outside faucet should be an easy job for anyone with a bit of plumping experience.

-- Ken S. in WC TN (scharabo@aol.com), February 09, 2001.

If your house is on a slab, it should be possible to provide an outside tap from the cold water line under your bathroom or kitchen sink.

-- Ken S. in WC TN (scharabo@aol.com), February 09, 2001.

You wouldn't need this, but the question gave me an idea. How about a 12 volt bilge pump for locations that don't have electricity? You can get them most anywhere boating supplies are sold, and the smaller ones are not expensive. You would need to supply some sort of screening around it to keep it from clogging. This might be a good thing to have in extended power outages, too. Sure would make it easy to fill containers for livestock water, etc.

-- Dan G. (stagecoach@hotmail.com), February 09, 2001.

We pump water from the creek to a 500 gallon tank, above the garden, then feed our drip irrigation system by gravity. There are small gasoline pumps that are not too expensive that would push the water to your garden, one could use "Rain Birds".

-- Hendo (OR) (redgate@echoweb.net), February 12, 2001.

Our swimming pool (no chemicals) is close to an electrical outlet but the garden is about 500 feet away. We put a sump pump in the pool and run garden hose out to the garden. Works as a great backup system when the weather doesn't cooperate. I didn't pay much for the pump. I don't remember for sure but I know it wouldn't have been more than fifty bucks. It probably was $29.99.

-- Colleen (pyramidgreatdanes@erols.com), February 12, 2001.

Regarding 12volt bilge pumps. The only ones I have experience with are intended for small boats, they will lift a considerable amount of water but only up about three feet or so before the output begins to drop off.

-- john hill (John@cnd.co.nz), February 12, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ