Who do I send my SAR to?

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Repossession : One Thread

Do I send a SAR to the people who are chasing me for shortfall or do I send it to the bank that they are representing - Halifax?

-- (Believer14@excite.co.uk), December 28, 2000


Sorry - I gave the wrong e-mail address - please reply to _Believer14@excite.co.uk

-- (_Believer14@excite.co.uk), December 28, 2000.

I gave the wrong e-mail addresss - sorry for any confusion caused.

-- (_Believer14@excite.co.uk), December 28, 2000.


I believe that from my own experiences you should serve an SAR on those chasing you for the "alleged" shortfall AND serve an SAR on the Halifax. You should also read earlier postings to this forum titled "The HALIFAX - DPA Subject Access Rights - etc." to obtain guidance on how to respond to the Halifax's likely reaction to your Subject Access Rights request.

You should send the Halifax's SAR to:

The Data Controller, Regulatory Risk-UK Non-Investment Business, Halifax PLC, Trinity Road, Halifax, HX1 2RG.

Good Luck,

-- Tony Hayter (Tony@Hayter.com), December 29, 2000.

Thank you. Your help is much appreciated.

-- (_Believer14@excite.co.uk), December 29, 2000.

I agree with Tony. Send an SAR to both organisations. You should also note that the legal maximum each organisation can charge you is 10 per SAR, no matter how many 'categories' they divide the information into. So you should pay Halifax no more than 10, and the lawyers/insurance company no more than 10. If either organisation suggests otherwise, I would be very interested to know about it, as would the Data Protection Commissioner. Good luck.

-- Eleanor Scott (eleanor.scott@btinternet.com), January 03, 2001.

Thanks everyone. I'm in the process of doing this now. Have just discovered that they were 'mistaken' about the date of sale by 12 months (a mere clerical error of course) wonder what else I am about to unearth.

-- (_Believer14@excite.co.uk), January 06, 2001.

For the last 6 years I have lived at my current address - now should I give my 'chasers' addresses previous to this? Is it in my interests to do so? Would they give me this information anyway?

Any help greatly appreciated.

-- (_Believer14@excite.co.uk), January 06, 2001.

There was something else I need to know and wondered if anyone could give some advice.

My husband and I are replying to these shortfall letters but when we serve SAR's do we have to serve one under his name and one under mine or can we serve it with Mr and Mrs. as the name requesting information.

Have I made myself clear? I fear not. I have flu!

-- (_Believer14@excite.co.uk), January 06, 2001.


What did you do about the addresses in the end - did you give them? Did the lender then conveniently provide 'evidence' of 'contact' to you at one of those addresses?

Just a crazy thought.

-- Eleanor Scott (eleanor.scott@btinternet.com), June 17, 2001.

I gave them our current address and our previous address (which was the one that was repossessed) - however they responded with absolutely nothing relating to the previous address.

It's as though (according to the SARN pack received) our mortgage never existed.

After our case got passed directly to Halifax I told them that at no time did I ever receive a notification of sale letter. They sent me a copy (strangest looking copy - no letterhead) of a letter sent to me on the day of sale by recorded delivery - sent to the property they had just sold!

-- (_Believer14@excite.co.uk), June 18, 2001.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ