keeping stored water "fresh" : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

We live in remote Alaska, off the grid and have acquired a 300 gallon, lidded, plastic water container that we want to incorporate somehow into the plans for a new cabin. The container would be in the upper level of the cabin and we would pump water as needed from our lake up to the container, which we'd be using mostly for washing purposes vs. drinking. Based on our current water use this could last us up to a month, and since it will be in the uppper (warmer) level of the house I'm concerned with bacterial/fungal/mildew growth. I'm hesitant to treat it with bleach. Should I be concerned/any other ideas? We average about 2 hours of electric power (generator) a day, if that factors in. Thanks.

-- Karen Shelden (, December 13, 2000


Check out this product. I haven't figured how much you would need per month based on your tank, but it looks like a good alternative to Chlorine. I'm trying to discern it's usefullness in extending the life of my raw goat's milk: it seems to actually work! Good Luck.

-- Linda Herring (, December 13, 2000.

Read the article by Dr. Salsbury starting on page 8 of the latest COUNTRYSIDE (Jan/Feb 2001). His advice is don't worry, you will get accustomed to the water.

-- JLS in NW AZ (, December 13, 2000.

I know,, the less light to it,, the better

-- STAN (, December 13, 2000.

Karen, it ought to be just fine to use in a months or so time, even longer than that as long as the sun doesn't shine directly on it, that causes the algae to grow. People use cistern water over long periods of time, and most just run it through a sediment filter before use. There is a product that is supposed to "oxygenate" the water that the survivalist stores sell that might extend the quality for up to a year, if you are very concerned about bacterial contamination, etc. Annie in SE OH.

-- Annie Miller (, December 15, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ