Pursuable when living abroad

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Repossession : One Thread

In a separate question here someone describes how they're being pursued for a shortfall by a former lender even though they currently live abroad. I did not know that a British court could serve a summons in a foreign country. Does anyone know the law in this area?. Certainly the cost to do so would be quite high.


F U Everschitz

-- Everschitz (Everschitz@hotmail.com), November 19, 2000


Yes, you can be pursued abroad. Whether or not a lender will do so depends on if they can find you if its worth it to them. The Civil Procedure Rules have details of this, its Rule 6 and the 2 Practice Directions which go with it deal with serving documents outside the jurisdiction.

When someone is being pursued for a debt here or abroad, the solicitors take great delight in the person's ignorance of what they can and cannot do. Even if in reality its not really viable to pursue a person in another country, the shock and distress of being found and the threat of legal action, could well be enough to get a person to contact and arrange to pay. Thats just one of the dirty tricks up a solicitors sleeve.


-- pendle (pendle@amun-ra.demon.co.uk), November 19, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ