CA - A Voltage Surge Causes A Brief Evacuationgreenspun.com : LUSENET : Grassroots Information Coordination Center (GICC) : One Thread
An Anaheim neighborhood was briefly evacuated after voltage surged through power lines. The surge left one family temporarily homeless. Power was still out this morning for an unknown number of customers who live near the intersection of S. State College Boulevard and South Street, according to Anaheim utilities officials. The strange power surge sparked a small fire in one house, electrified cable lines and caused a outage that prompted the evacuation of 210 residents last night, Anaheim police and fire officials said this morning. There were no injuries and evacuees were allowed to return to their darkened homes after a few hours, said Edward Gallegos, a Metronet Fire Dispatch supervisor. The fire was reported at 530 S. Elder, the epicenter of the power outage, at 7:10 p.m. yesterday he said. One family, possibly the occupants of the burned home, was housed overnight by the American Red Cross, Gallegos said. The surge electrified and possibly burned some television cable lines, causing authorities to evacuate the neighborhood, said an Anaheim police lieutenant. Police were dispatched to the darkened neighborhood to direct traffic.
-- Doris (firstname.lastname@example.org), November 13, 2000