AL - Federal retirees checks missing or late : LUSENET : Grassroots Information Coordination Center (GICC) : One Thread

AL - Federal retirees checks missing or late 10/11/00

Times Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - A mass loss of federal retiree checks has hit the eastern part of the country hard, Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, said Tuesday after his office received calls from retirees missing checks.

Civil servant retirees who haven't received their checks can call the Office of Personnel Management at 1-888-767-6738 to have checks reissued, which will take five business days.

Cramer wrote a letter to Janie LaChance, director of the OPM, asking her to investigate the problem.

''We are aware of this problem that our retired civil servants are facing right now with late or lost checks,'' Cramer said in a statement to The Huntsville Times.

''Our retired government employees have worked hard for years and deserve better than this.''

-- Doris (, October 12, 2000

Moderation questions? read the FAQ