2nd mortgage

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Repossession : One Thread

My husband and I took out a 2nd mortgage 16 years ago we later split up. I am disabled and unable to worl so the Social Security paid the interest on the 2nd mortgage until the 15 year term ended last year. I have had a letter from the company asking me to meake payments of #40 per month which in panic I agreed to but I cannot afford this at all. I have paid twice in 10 months, the last time being in April. They have since sent me 2 letters saying I must pay and that I owe them #18,000. I just cannot pay this what can they do now.

-- Jean Koopman (jaybee60@hotmail.com), October 03, 2000


Hi Jean,

First of all the most important thing is that you should not worry or panic.

I feel that in your case you need a solicitor to give you the correct legal advice. Go to Citizens Advice first, it's free and they may also be able to put you in touch with a solicitor who can help you under legal aid. As you are disabled and unable to work it is most likely that you will get Legal Aid.

Good Luck,

Tony Hayter

-- Tony Hayter (Tony@Hayter.com), October 03, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ