Ink for backprinting on RC paper : LUSENET : B&W Photo - Printing & Finishing : One Thread

I need a source for ink so I can backstamp my RC prints. Regular stamp pad ink works okay on fibre paper, but takes hours to dry on the back of RC prints.

I am in Ottawa, Ontario, so if anybody in cyberspace knows of a local supplier, so much the better. If not, the name and address of a manufacturer I can contact directly should do nicely. Thanks!!

-- Terrence Brennan (, September 06, 2000


Stamp on paper labels and stick the labels to the prints.

-- Keith Nichols (, September 06, 2000.


I don't know if this will work, but a recent article in Photo Techniques (Sept/Oct 2000) "File Simply - But Do File," describes a way of identifying negatives. If the ink described can stick to non absorbent negatives it should also work on RC prints.

The author David Vestal, claims to have been using this ink for 50 years without problems. It is Higgins Waterproof Black Drawing Ink, also known as India Ink. He says that another ink made by Higgins is labeled "for film," but that one should be avoided as it takes very long to dry.


-- Pete Caluori (, September 07, 2000.

Ask your supplier for a spirit-based stamp ink. I then use white spirit to clean the rubber stamp.

-- Alan Gibson (, September 07, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ