Detectorsgreenspun.com : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread
You know, I was just reading the thread on gas stoves and I wanted to remind everyone, folks, smoke, fire and carbon monoxide detectors are priceless. Keeping them in your house is the best piece of equipment you can own. We use a woodstove and when we were ready to fire it up for the first time, our carbon monoxide detector was on first. They were all the first things we bought, even before the hot water heater that's electric. When we get our house, these will all stay in here, and all new ones for the house. Spencer tests them about every 3 mos., we also have a storm radio, and it even announces river, creek and stream levels. (On a flood plain and in tornado alley, these are real important things to have...) But, if you're in a house with ANY sort of appliance that's gas or wood powered, get a carbon monoxide detector, EVERYONE should have a smoke and fire detector...
-- Louise Whitley (email@example.com), August 15, 2000
Louise! I totally agree! Countless live have been saved by these devices. Wonder just how many more would be alive if they'd had them too? Heating season will be upon us soon. NOW'S the time to get one if you haven't already. Matt. 24:44
-- hoot (firstname.lastname@example.org), August 15, 2000.
Thanks Louise and Hoot! Next time I'm at the store it will be 1st on my list. First Alert a good one? I should know better since my aunt and uncle died of that very problem!....kirk....
-- Kirk Davis (email@example.com), August 15, 2000.
Good reminders, and I, too will get a carbon monoxide detector. Got on for both the grown kids, but not us. DUMB. Will do so right away. Every year in the fall, there is at least one tradgedy in Colorado Springs of a person or family that dies when their furnace malfunctions. Cheap insurance! Jan
-- Jan in Colorado (Janice12@aol.com), August 15, 2000.
I second the comment ! Not only with heating season , but its thunderstorm season .Last year we got hit by lightening and it caught the house on fire .So everyone better safe than sorry.
-- Patty (firstname.lastname@example.org), August 15, 2000.
Several years ago I worked in an old two story office building. It was a cold winter day and what happended was that a downdraft in the chimney blew out some, but not all of the burners on the natural gas boiler. The air flow reversed so that combustion gases including carbon monoxide, were pumped through the basement while the chimney acted as an intake air pipe.
To make a long story short, several employees started to complain about headaches. There was no gas odor. When one employee passed out cold on the floor, the general manager hit the fire alarm. I spent the rest of the day in a hospital breathing oxygen through a mask. I never knew what hit me except that my lips were bright red.
If it happens in your sleep, YOU'RE DEAD!
-- Craig Miller (CMiller@ssd.com), August 16, 2000.