AUSTRALIA - 2,000 Evacuated in Shopping Center Fire; Started in Underground Electrical Switchboard : LUSENET : Grassroots Information Coordination Center (GICC) : One Thread

[Fair Use: For Education and Research Purpose Only]

Title: 2,000 evacuated in shopping centre fire

Source: AAP | Published: Saturday May 6, 3:34 PM

Up to 2,000 people were evacuated from a burning shopping centre in Sydney's west this morning.

The Fire Service said the blaze started about 11.20am in an underground electrical air handling switchboard at Macarthur Square Shopping Centre in Campbelltown.

Fire Service spokesman Nick Ryan said centre management immediately put in place its evacuation program for up to 2,000 store employees and customers.

An explosion and then fire erupted in the switchboard, pumping masses of smoke into the airconditioning system and throughout the centre.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze, which was confined to one room, about 1.30pm.

Mr Ryan said the main problem for firefighters had been the smoke, and it was believed one person had been treated for smoke inhalation.


-- (, May 06, 2000

Moderation questions? read the FAQ