how do i put a woodstove in a tent? : LUSENET : Countryside : One Thread

my emergency backup in case of lack of heating oil, is to move into a lrge dome tent,18' dia, and 9' high. I've built a hearth and the small woodstove i have will have 3' clearance from sides of the tent. Behind the stove is a doorway which i will insert a piece of plywood or concrete board. How do i safely run stove pipe to do this? thanks for your help.

-- Bob (, November 14, 1999


Some tents are designed to use a stove in. I would exit it through the concrete board you are going to put in the door. support it well and be very careful, tents burn and so can you. Good Luck. TOM

-- Tom Calloway (, November 14, 1999.

the military uses tents that are designed to use a woodburning stove....and it seems to me i have read some surplus military books on how these are hooked know the surplus or copy military books you can pickup at army navy surplus or gun shows? anyway, info in there.......good luck.........and be REAL careful

-- gene ward (, November 16, 1999.

Cabela's sells a sheet metal Thimble to use in a tent wall for wood stoves. I have seen them also at big outfitters in the west where they sell horse packing equipment., If you are using nylon tent i would be very, very careful!

-- Bob Henderson (, November 16, 1999.

My son purchased a surplus military tent with two seperate holes (with flaps) for the stove pipe to exit through the roof. One at each end of the tent; for two stoves, I suppose. The holes were bound with a fire and heat resistant material. He set it up and lit a fire. It worked Great! We checked the fabric around the stove pipe while operating and it was ok. Warmed the tent and we cooked onthe stove. LOL

-- Eve (, November 16, 1999.

Perhaps you have heard of a "roof jack", which is used where a stovepipe passes through a roof. Well, there is a type of flashiing for the corresponding use in a tent. It's called a "tent jack".

Be careful.

-- jumpoff joe (, January 24, 2000.

I just recently put wood stoves in both of our wall tents that we are uusing while building a cabin at a remote site. I purchased the item at a alaska tent and tarp in Fairbanks, alaska. I am sure you can purchase it somewhere near you. It is a piece of tent with a silicone insert in the center, the size of the stove pipe. they come in all sizes. Ours was for a 4" stove pipe and the cost was somewhere near $20. You sew the square piece of tenting on the outside of the tent where you want to install the stove and then cut out the inside leaving the silicone circle opening that snuggly fits the stove pipe, so no rain leaks in.

-- Mary Davis (, November 12, 2000.

If your dome tent is nylon, I would abandon the thought of using flames for heat. When they catch fire they quickly melt into this hideous, toxic, sticky goo. You really don't want that over your head.

On the other hand, a nice cotton canvas tent merely burns up. There are special 'adapters' that you can sew into the wall/roof, and run the stovepipe thru the patch.

Best Wishes, Bryanna

-- Bryanna.Cannell (, December 21, 2000.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ