B & J broken View Screen

greenspun.com : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

Last night I managed to punch a hole in the viewing screen of my Burke and James "Orbit" Studio 4x5_frwn

Anyone know of a source for replacements?

Appreciate any feedback, and take care out there. Gregory david Stempel FIREFRAME IMAGING

-- Gregory david Stempel (fyrframe@ptinet.net), August 07, 1999


Try Steve Shuart (1-800-458-6092 www.stephenshuart.com), he has old parts and ok advice

-- Jim McDonough (jmcdonough@prodigy.net), August 08, 1999.

If by viewing screen you mean the ground glass you use for focusing, most aftermarket ones will work. If they don't fit precisely in the opening, you can sand them down easily with emery sandpaper until they fit. If you get in the middle of nowhere and break the ground glass, get a piece from a picture framing shop, cut to size and put scotch magic transparent tape on it and it will allow you to focus. When you get back to where you can get a good replacement, do so. You may have to stop down a bit more to compensate for the make-do ground glass and its not being quite the exact thickness needed, but it will work.

One good sulution when you replace your glass is to get two or three so you have a backup for when it happens again.

-- Dan smith (shooter@brigham.net), August 08, 1999.

It's excruciatingly easy to make your own ground glass. Go to a window shop with the dimensions, and while you are there pick up a larger piece of scrap glass, at least 8x10. Clamp the larger piece of glass to a table. Use boards on the clamp so the glass doesn't break.

Now get some valve grinding compound from an auto parts store. Costs about 2 bucks. Put a teaspoon or so on the glass, water it down a little bit, and take your 4x5 piece in your hands and move it over the grinding compound in a circular motion. In ten or fifteen minutes of gentle grinding on one side you will have a perfect ground glass.

-- Erik Ryberg (ryberg@seanet.com), August 14, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ