copying slides to color negs : LUSENET : B&W Photo - Film & Processing : One Thread

what kind of film i have to use to copy slides to color negative film, also techniques, I'm using a Nikon f90x and PB6 NikonBellows, film AGFA color print film ASA 100,when i print the negs, my photos have a lot of contrast, may I have to put the ASA guide number into a lower one (like ASA 50) using the same film, to have less contrast in the negs, is there anyware a special kind of film with less contrast for this kind of use? Please send me an aswer soon P.D. If you have an aswer in spanish, it would be better, Thanks.

-- gonzalo endara (, July 20, 1999


Response to coping slides to color negs

Both Kodak and Fuji make special film for copying slides to prints. I use Fuji ITN (available only in bulk rolls). EI depends on desired contrast; 1-12 (I find 3 the best for my work) and light with a photoflood lamp (not a regular household or halogen lamp). Have your 1 hour lab print it as Fuji 100

-- John Lehman (, July 22, 1999.

Response to coping slides to color negs

Your best bet is internegative film, available from either Kodak or Fuji. If you decide to use it, you will have to balance it. Neither films are designed to be dropped into your camera and exposed. You MUST follow the manufacturer's instructions if you expect to get decent results.

These films are available (in 35mm format) only in bulk rolls. They have to be refrigerated when not in use. To properly balance them you will need to have access to a densitometer, as well as the proper 11- or 21-step silver step tablet for exposure and filtration determination.

You will also need a method of filtering the light used to expose the film. Electronic flash is a no-go with these films. If you use a photoflood lamp, you will need a selection of CC or CP filters. One option is to use an enlarger colourhead, equipped with dichroic filters.

Your average photofinisher may not get much internegative film to process and print; unless you want to develop and print it yourself, you may have to take it to a professional colour lab.

If this is a bit expensive, then you could try a lower contrast colour negative film, and flash it after exposure. After establishing your main exposure, you would remove the transparancy and give it a second exposure through a 2.0 neutral density filter; some experimentation would be in order here.

-- Terrence Brennan (, September 10, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ