Color meter or just other film? : LUSENET : Large format photography : One Thread

I have been taking pictures for 4 years and from time to time I ask myself this question Color meter or other film?. When I am shooting a subject which is white on white I get a blue cast which bathers me, because it seems to be that if I shoot a little lighter the image will be over exposed, but the cast is always there. My film is kodak EPN, my lighting is multiblitz, and my lenses are fujinon f8/400mm, sironar-N f5.6/210mm and grandagon f4.5/90mm. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Sergio

-- Sergio Perez (, November 17, 1998


Your problem sounds as if it is coming from your strobes. A color temp meter would tell you for sure, but another way to tell if this is a film (film and processing) problem or a lightsource problem would be so shoot the same subject outdoors in direct sunlight near the middle of the day and again under the strobes. Shoot at least three different pairs of tests and have three different labs process.

-- Ellis (, November 17, 1998.

It really doesn't matter why you're getting the blue cast. (Yes, it's probably your strobes.) The point is, you're getting it. So to get rid of it, a little warming filtration is necessary. Shooting with a CC10Y or CC10R would be a good place to start. I must stress that photography is a matter of trial and error. Everybody's systemthat is, from original light source to final viewing light and EVERYTHING in betweenis different. You must make tests and adjust your system until it gives you what you want to get. I have been doing photography for 37 years and every shot I make is still an experiment.

-- Peter Hughes (, November 17, 1998.

Are your flash tubes UV coated?? UV light causes a blue/cyan cast to transparancy material which no color meter will register. This is most apparent in whites and highlights. Minolta (Scientific) does make several UV reading meters..but they aren't calibrated for photographic purposes and are VERY expensive. I use a (heavy) UV filtration on my lens always..2C, 2B..( no exposure compensation required)in addition, on my older Balcars I put UV absorbing material over the heads. Rosco makes several types of gel mtl which absorbs different amts of UV. You can also get similar material from other of which is Chemplast. Edmund Scientific also markets UV absorbing material..although I haven't tried this personally. ALSO..if you are bouncing the light..different types of white surfaces..paint, umbrellas, foamcore, etc not only sometimes have a slight bluish cast..some of them actually can emit UV. "White" is a relative term.

-- Charles Matter (, January 06, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ