Modifying Brownies to Accept 120 Roll Film : LUSENET : Brownie Cameras : One Thread

I have read in several places that 620 Brownies can be modified to accept regular 120 roll film. Can you tell me how its done? I have a Hawkeye and a Flash Six-20 that I'd like to experiment with.

Also, I have an old metal box camera from Sears Roebuck. I believe the model name is "Tower". It takes 120 film and has both an instantaneous and timed shutter setting. It looks very similar to some Kodak models I've seen. Can you tell me anything more about it?

Thanks for your help. Very cool web page by the way!

-- Peter Borowski (, July 02, 1998


Re: Modifying Brownies to Accept 120 Roll Film


Instead of modifying your camera to take 120 film, try modifying the 120 film spool to work in a 620 camera. The problem is that the 620 spools have a smaller diameter. Well, the new 120 film spools are plastic! I'm experimenting with my first roll of 120 film in a Brownie Flash 20 with a cut down 120 spool. The numbers on the paper backing don't quite line up with the red window on the back of the camera, but it seems to be working. BTW, use a Brownie that snap-locks when you advance the film (i.e., Flash 20, Twin 20, Reflex 20). Don't use a Hawkeye, because you won't know when to stop winding.

Larry W. Haak Columbus, Indiana

-- Larry Haak (, July 15, 1998.

I have an FAQ on the use of 120 film in a 620 camera here if you're interested.

-- Chris Eve (, July 23, 1998.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ