Edit table's structure

greenspun.com : LUSENET : SQL Server Database Administration : One Thread

Hi, I want to know how I can modify the structure of a table. For example, edit a datatype field, or delete a field.

Thanks for all.

-- Anonymous, February 25, 1998


Re: Edit table's structure


Sorry to say, you will have to select into a new table that has the changed column and delete the old table to make those type of changes. The alter table command does not provide for changing or droping a column. It only allows adding a column.

Tools like DBArtisan and ERwin, however, will handle such changes automatically to make it _appear_ as if you are just _changing_ a column.


P.S. I was taking a class last week, otherwise I would have answered more quickly.

-- Anonymous, March 02, 1998

Moderation questions? read the FAQ