2 1/4 x 2 1/4 bulk film

greenspun.com : LUSENET : B&W Photo - Film & Processing : One Thread

I was wondering if anyone out there has ever heard of bulk film that will fit my 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 camera? If so I would be very interested to hear about it.

-- Janet Redhawk (info@diversitycomputers.com), January 14, 1998


Several medium format cameras have backs which will use 70mm film. Kodak offers Tri-X and VPS in both perforated and unperforated rolls, either 15 feet or 100 feet. There may be other films available but these are the only ones I am aware of.

-- Garry Teeple (gteeple@mail.coin.missouri.edu), January 16, 1998.

Ilford also offers 70mm FP4+ and HP5+ (and possibly some others)

-- John Lehman (ffjal@aurora.alaska.edu), January 30, 1998.

70mm film is available but there is a "yeah, but" to the whole thing. I looked into this for my Hasselblad. The developing tank and reel for the 70mm film is quite expensive- about 175 for the reel (Kindermann). It would take quite a few rolls to amortize out the expense of the reel.

If you are a devotee of the emulsions that only come in 70mm- some aerial and infared films in particular- I suppose you can bite the bullet and pay the cost. Also, if you do things like take pictures of graduating classes where 70 pictures at a whack is good, 70mm makes sense but, otherwise, it does not make economic sense...


-- Jeff Benedict (raoul@olympus.net), February 05, 1999.

Moderation questions? read the FAQ