1) Click on START in Windows. Then on move to PROGRAMS Then to MSDOS-PROMPT icon. This will show a MSDOS BOX. If you are not in WINDOWS then the MSDOS Prompt c:> will show after you boot up.(posted 7812 days ago)
2) Copy the \dgjpp directory to your hard drive by typing at the c-dos-prompt
c:> xcopy d:\djgpp c:\djgpp /s
If d is your cdrom drive otherwise use your cdrom drive letter instead.
3) at the c dos prompt TYPE -> cd\ (press enter) now showing only c:> instead of possible c:\windows ect...
4) Type the following at the c - prompt: c:> TYPE autoexec.bat (press enter) (This will show contents of your autoexec.bat file) If there is not a statement like: SET PATH=c:\windows\command THEN
c:> cd\windows\command (press enter) c:\windows\command> edit c:\autoexec.bat (Exactly as shown here) In the editor type:
prompt $p$g set path=c:\;c:\windows;c:\windows\command;
set djgpptmp=c: set djgpprun=c: set DJGPP=%djgpprun%\DJGPP\DJGPP.ENV set PATH=%djgpprun%\DJGPP\BIN;%PATH% call setdjgpp %djgpprun%\djgpp %djgpprun%/djgpp doskey
(TO SAVE THE FILE: Press ALT-F for the File-Menu. Press S for Save. Press X for exit. NOW Load the config.sys file. Type the following: c:\windows\command> cd\ (press enter) c:> autoexec.bat (press enter) (This loads the path statements as well as the environment vars).
c:> edit config.sys (press enter) In the editor in the file add if the following is absent:
device=c:\windows\himem.sys dos=high files=30
Files must be at least = 30. If you have a dos only machine then replace the line:
device=c:\windows\himem.sys WITH device=c:\dos\himem.sys
5) Now bootup your machine. The system would have load then the statements you have added in the config.sys and the autoexec.bat files.
6) Also if you work in a MSDOS BOX then to have enough Environment memory available when using a DOS-BOX.
Open the dos box, right click on the TOP Left corner. You will see a drop-down menu. Click on PROPERTIES menu option You will a tabbed option screen. click on MEMORY TAB. Click on "Initial Environment" make that 4096. Click APPLY. Close the MSDOS BOX.
Open the Box again to initialize the setting to take effect.
from Francois A du Toit
[ Previous | Next ]